Statement of Purpose for SAIC application, an artist

andreagayle 1 / 6  
In the statement of purpose, you should discuss your interests, creative influences, educational goals, and anything else that is important for us to know regarding your interest in art, design, and visual culture. Through your statement of purpose the Undergraduate Committee on Admissions is interested in finding out more about you as an individual and how you represent yourself in a written format.

As an artist, I am constantly thinking of new ideas and themes to convey in my artwork. To say I am constantly looking for ideas is an overstatement. To me, art comes from within; the thoughts that are taken from life experience and personal research; outer visual influences are not to be entirely compelling. Thought is often hypocritical of itself. This is what drives the pieces I create. Painting and creating is a way to explore and understand those ideas which frustrate and convex me. As I finish a piece it is another piece put into creating myself.

The subconscious theme throughout my work is a strong contrast between ideas and images. I use contrasting colors and textures to convey the hypocrisy of thought. The colors are bright, acid-like, paired with neutral tones. Characters, whether human or surreal creatures represent ideas. Visually, my art is lighthearted, bright, and simple yet complex. In contrast, the idea behind each piece is an acute, often painful thought. This contradiction is explored through many layers of images, textures, canvases, objects and colors which cohesively flow together. My artwork has progressed from mainly portraits and medium exploration into installations on canvas, incorporating realistic painting with new interesting techniques and surreal imagery.

I have always creatively explored any challenge given to me. Anything new and different interests me and sparks the need to create. There is no other option for me than to construct and discover. SAIC will allow me to freely express this need. Its creative environment is the perfect outlet that I need, which a traditional college does not offer. I hope, if given the opportunity, I will be able to keep exploring the endless options I have as an artist at SAIC. In the short time since I discovered art class to now, I have developed exponentially as an artist. I am eager to take my art to new levels, to discover and advance my technical as well as creative options.

I was recently nominated for a merit scholarship.. I really need this to be good! Any suggestions are very helpful...
psypsy 3 / 9  
It's really good. :) I think your works are really good as well! good luck for both of us!

Home / Undergraduate / Statement of Purpose for SAIC application, an artist