UT austin "Issue essay"

nuncio900 2 / 3  
Personal Essay
Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Any and all constructive criticism is welcomed. Thank you for your time in advanced!

Recently, I have found myself puzzled at how a Nation so advanced could have arrived at a point where we have indecision on crucial issues. I am a firm believer in being decisive, fair, and practical, whether as an individual, or as a collective entity. A "decisive issue" of particular interest in our current time is that of "Universal Health Care". This very specific decisive issue has the country divided, due to the fact that its facets would affect nearly every tax-paying citizen. Having undeniable covered health care ideally should provide a net cost less than that of purchasing Private Plan health care. It would also provide more accessibility to critical and necessary medical procedures and treatments; however, should there be universal health care, certain obstacles might ensue. An increase in the federal debt could possibly occur, higher taxes would potentially be enforced on the citizens, who would as a result have to endure a longer wait to see a doctor or specialist.

One advantage in favor of universal healthcare is that as a citizen, one cannot be denied coverage for healthcare as long as he or she pays his or her taxes. The problem that many people today face is the ever increasing rate of denied coverage by health insurance for a procedure or treatment. However, not having health insurance coverage does not prevent an individual from getting treatment; it is the cost of the treatment that does so. A person might be forced to decrease his standard of living, valuable assets may be lost, or in extreme cases, a person may experience the loss of a home just to afford costly treatments. Universal health care would be run and regulated by the government, thus, less focus on profit would be included in the cost of running the health care system. An individual would be able to spend less to be covered by health insurance because the "tab" would be picked up by the government. In addition, any inflating cost of treatment would cease since hospitals generally inflate their charges as a result of abandoned bills, which would be regulated in such a way that it would not affect the industry in the form of massive monetary losses.

However, on the other hand, with an expansion of government inevitably comes an increase in taxes to cover costs. Universal health care will be an entitlement, for which to qualify; one would be required in certainty and consistently to pay taxes. In the case of previous entitlements, once instated, the cost to keep the entitlement running will continue to rise. Also, there is no way to predict whether the cost of health care will continue to rise or decline. Should the current trends continue, the ballooning cost of healthcare combined with the rising cost of entitlements will put an ever increasing load of taxes on the citizens on top of a huge national debt. Along with the cost, comes the longer wait for an individual to see a doctor. The increase in wait time would result due to longer lines of people that did not have health coverage before. Similar to other government services, it takes a while for results to actually occur. The government is not viewed currently as the most efficient entity and would increase the wait time for a person to see a doctor. As off putting it may sound to some, others believe that the advantages of instituting universal healthcare greatly out weigh any of the disadvantages.

I am one of the many people, who believe in instituting universal healthcare as my personal belief regarding this much-heated debate, stems from long-term health concerns for my parents. Should the universal health care bill pass, no longer would my brother and I find ourselves constantly worrying over the plight of whether my parents will have continuity of the care that they need. The financial burden currently seems insurmountable, unrealistic, and quite an obstacle in being able to afford much else that one would consider a necessity, like a home, a car, or basic needs for existing. My parents' respective ages added together makes over a century; which statistically means that age-related health problems more likely to arise, and compounding this possibility with existing health concerns, I have no choice but to look bleakly at the future for them, and for the family's financial security.

Currently, my parents cannot afford to pay for the entirety of my college education, regardless of their years of hard work and efforts to make a good life for their family. Because of the necessity to appropriate some of their funds, they found themselves planning for the worst possibility that their health may deteriorate even more: specifically, my mother having a relapse of cancer, or my father's heart condition worsening. Even through the most troubling of circumstances, however, my family and I have discussed the determination that I must maintain to obtain a quality education, and we are certain that there will be a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, even if I have to incur the debt of student loans to complete my education.

To sum up the importance of what would ultimately be a great benefit to my family, I look forward to the completion and passing of the Bill for the care that my parents and many others like them need and will need in the future. The assurance that my parents will be able to preserve their lives without losing their proprietary ability to treat an ailment is a comforting thought. More so my hope and my comfort will be in resting assured that they will continue to be a part of my brother's and my life for as long as possible. I know that it is just as important to them.
Wow, great essay!
...personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope ...you covered ALL of these!

I am one of the many people who believe in instituting universal healthcare. as My personal belief regarding this much-heated debate stems from long-term health concerns for my parents.

...which statistically means that age-related health problems are more likely to arise, and compounding this possibility...
Also, don't capitalize nation in that first sentence. I almost want to suggest cutting it down to size as a rhetorical question:

Recently, I have found myself puzzled at h How can a nation so advanced have arrived at a point where we have such indecision on crucial issues. I am a firm believer in being decisive, fair, and practical, whether as an individual o r as a collective entity.

Less is more when you are asking the reader to invest attention.

One advantage in favor of universal healthcare is that...

or

One argument in favor of universal healthcare is that

undeniably

Home / Undergraduate / UT austin "Issue essay"