'the barracades blocking' - FSU Admissions Virfes, Artes, Mores

oliviasimon 1 / -  
i dont know what to write for my FSU app. essay. The prompt is confusing, and even now that i'm starting to understand what it is asking, i dont know what to write:

what does this essay really ask for? what should i write about?

most importantly i can't think of a good way to open the essay using the "vires artes mores" and then transition into how i am strong, etc.

Essay
For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

Here's what i'm thinking (can someone correct/critique this pleasee):

The base of Florida State's Motto: "Vires, Artes, Mores" combines strength, the arts, and tradition. As I inch closer to entering adulthood, it becomes ever more apparent that strength is an essential asset to have in my life. The moral strength I have attained over my teenage years is a valuable virtue not everyone is lucky enough to have: people become followers throughout high school and begin to follow trends and listen and agree with what other people say. I have remained morally strong and persisted in keeping my own ideas, making my own decisions, and forming my own opinions. I do not let other people make choices that could impact my life. In spite of my family telling me it was impossible for me to attend St. Thomas for my senior year due to family and financial difficulties, I strayed away from the discouragement and persevered in trying to manage a way to finish out my senior year. I tried everything possible until I found a way to get past all the barracades blocking me from the senior year I have been awaiting since I was just a freshman. My intellectual strength has helped me survive not only the curriculum at St. Thomas, but also proved useful in dealing with my everyday life. Being intellectually and mentally strong has helped me reason my way through difficulties in my life such as the divorce of my parents and help me see the silver lining. Over my high school years I really have evolved into a strong, confident, persistent person who doesn't let anyone get in the way of my goals. I know what I want to do with my life, and with the power of the strength I have I feel confident I will be able to take on anything that comes my way.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
You've got a good start here, and some opportunities where you can expand upon how these values have impacted your life. Take them, and your essay will get better.

Home / Undergraduate / 'the barracades blocking' - FSU Admissions Virfes, Artes, Mores