'It seems pretty simple' - Vires, artes, mores - Florida State Admissions

packersrule522 1 / 2  
"Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University for almost one hundred years. When I read this prompt and thought about what I was going to write it all seemed pretty simple, because it seems as if I have lived my life according to these words.

When I think about Vires, I think about my sophomore year in high school. I was on the Varsity baseball team at Dr. Phillips High, and also in the top chorus. It was really hard to do both of these things at the same time, especially when the baseball coaches and players didn't really support me with my love for singing. They definitely didn't approve of me missing practice because of chorus rehearsals after school. Nonetheless I put their words of discouragement behind me and ended up getting superiors at the state level in chorus, and pitched in the conference semi final for the baseball team. I found the strength within me, and the time management to be able to do these two extra curricular's, and succeed in both of them. I remember every morning of my sophomore year listening to a song by the band "A Day to Remember" called "The Danger in Starting a Fire" there's a lyric in this song "I will never falter, I'll stand my ground." Those lyrics got me through each and every day that year.

Artes is my favorite word out of the three, I love music. I started singing when I was seven years old in my church choir. Ever since then I have been in choir at my school, under the direction of Beth Meadows, and Andrew Minear, who both got their degrees at Florida State University, they are my two biggest and most influential role models. They molded me into the musician I am today. I believe everything in this world revolves around music, whether you are a virtuoso, or just singing along in the car. I love performing in front of crowds and seeing their reaction to what my choir, or I am singing. Whether it makes them smile, or cry, or leave them speechless. Music is the most powerful way of conveying messages in this world, and I simply cannot explain the love I have for it. I love it so much that I want to major in Choral Music Education at the prestigious Florida State University to spread my love for music to younger generations in the future. It has always been my dream, and I think with an amazing education, at one of the premier music schools in the country, my dream can soon become a reality.

One thing comes to mind when I think about Mores. When I was a little boy, and I lived in Michigan we would come to Florida to go to Disney each Christmas. One night we were on a very crowded bus and I got a seat, but there were many people standing, when I looked towards the front of the bus there was a woman with a baby in her arms looking exhausted from the treacherous day she had in the blazing sun at Magic Kingdom. I got up from my seat, walked to the front of the bus and told the woman that she could take my seat. I think that shows my character and custom. I was brought up that way, that giving is the best gift. I love Florida State, and I really hope I have the opportunity to bring my strength, skill, and character to this prosperous university.

What do you guys think? To simple? Corrections? Help me get in!
especially when the baseball coaches and players didn't really support me in my love of singing.

...at the state level in chorus, and pitching in the conference semi final for the baseball team.

..."The Danger in Starting a Fire". There's a lyric in this song "I will never ...

Artes is my favorite word out of the three, as I love music.

...who both got their degrees at Florida State University.They are my two biggest and most influential role models.

Whether it makes them smile, or cry, or leave them speechless.Incomplete sentence.

... when I looked towards the front of the bus there was a woman with a baby in her arms looking exhausted from the treacherous day she had had in the ...
collegebound1 1 / 4  
i think it's a little too simple.
you should have more eye catching characteristics and more details

good base though !

Home / Undergraduate / 'It seems pretty simple' - Vires, artes, mores - Florida State Admissions