'beyond the realm of traditional engineering' - why Northwestern/engineering?

cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Northwestern University strikes me as a school that has it all: academic excellence, an unbeatable location on the shores of Lake Michigan, and a host of kooky traditions like "primal scream" and "painting the rock". Ever since I visited the Evanston campus this year, I have truly been able to see myself as a Northwestern student-studying at the University Library, passing out stickers with the Happiness Club, and joining a community of fellow Wildcats dedicated to making the most of their undergraduate experiences. As one of the top universities in the nation, Northwestern will provide me with an education of the highest caliber, and I know that the opportunities available at Northwestern will prepare me to succeed long after graduation.

The school that I am applying to- the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences-particularly appeals to me because its focus extends beyond the realm of traditional engineering. While many engineering departments at other colleges emphasis merely the technical aspects of engineering, the McCormick School is committed to teaching students "whole-brain engineering". When I went to an information session at the engineering college, the assistant dean, Mr. Holtgreive, spoke about how Northwestern students not only learn the fundamentals of engineering, they design solutions to problems and learn how to innovate; in short, they learn how to think like engineers. I find this approach to be forward thinking and unique, and I believe that the "whole brain" engineer training taught at Northwestern University is exactly what we need to move forward in the 21st century.

Another thing that I like about Northwestern is that, unlike many other schools that have made the transition to semesters, Northwestern remains on the quarter system. At Northwestern, I would be able to major in engineering and also pursue a minor in English (something I've always wanted to do), all while graduating in four years. The freedom with which the quarter system allows students to explore their interests is something I greatly appreciate and would take advantage of. Outside the classroom, Northwestern offers many ways for students to explore their interests as well. Through organizations such as Habitat For Humanity and Boomshaka, I would be able to continue my interests in volunteering and dance and become a true member of the Wildcat community.

All in all, Northwestern University's top-notch academics, beautiful surroundings, and wealth of opportunities make it one of my top college choices. It's McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is the perfect place for me to learn engineering from a creative, design-oriented perspective, and its wide range of extracurricular offerings would make it easy for me to get involved on the campus community. I believe that Northwestern is the perfect place for me, and I can't wait to be a Wildcat.

...I feel like the last two paragraphs of my essay suck. What should I do to fix them?
OP cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
Revised:

The school that I am applying to- the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences-particularly appeals to me because its focus extends beyond the realm of traditional engineering. While many engineering departments at other colleges emphasis merely the technical aspects of engineering, the McCormick School is committed to teaching students "whole-brain engineering". When I went to an information session at the college, the assistant dean, Mr. Holtgreive, spoke about how Northwestern students not only learn the fundamentals of engineering, they design solutions to problems and learn how to innovate; in short, they learn how to think like engineers. I find this approach to be forward thinking and unique, and I believe that the "whole brain" engineer training taught at Northwestern University is exactly what we need to move forward in the 21st century.

Another thing that I like about Northwestern is that, unlike many other schools that have made the transition to semesters, Northwestern remains on the quarter system. At Northwestern, I would be able to major in engineering and also pursue a minor in English (something I've always wanted to do), all while graduating in four years. Outside the classroom, Northwestern offers many ways for students to explore their interests as well; through organizations such as Habitat For Humanity and Boomshaka, I would be able to continue my interests in volunteering and dance and become a true member of the Wildcat community. Alltogether, Northwestern University's top-notch academics and wealth of opportunities make it one of my top college choices. Its McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is the perfect place for me to learn engineering from a creative, design-oriented perspective, and its wide range of extracurricular offerings would make it easy for me to get involved on the campus community. Add to that a location near the third-largest city in the nation, and what more could I ask for in a college experience?
...the Happiness Club, and joining a community of fellow Wildcats, dedicated to making the most of their undergraduate experiences.

The McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is the perfect place for me to learn engineering from a creative, design-oriented perspective, and its wide range of extracurricular offerings would make it easy for me to get involved in the campus community.

Your essay is very well thought out and written. They'll be lucky to have you as a student! Good luck with school.

:)
tcohen 1 / 24  
The school that I am applying to- the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences-particularly appeals to me because its focus extends beyond the realm of traditional engineering.

I would delete "the school that I am applying to"

Another thing that I like about Northwestern is that

Maybe write, "Another aspect about Northwestern that I like" instead of using the word thing, it's a bit weak.

I think this is a great example of a Why X? essay. Really well thought out and detailed. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'beyond the realm of traditional engineering' - why Northwestern/engineering?