Broadening Our Perspectives: An Exploration of Our Incredible Planet - Emory Supplement

rbuttar14 6 / 11 2  
Imagine you are a professor, charged with teaching a new course. Emory University offers over 1,000 courses in a wide range of academic subjects. You are free to choose whatever subject you want. What class would you create? What would you hope students would leave your class having learned? (Don't forget to include your class title!) (250 word limit)

Out of the many islands in the Caribbean, about just 2% of them are inhabited. Additionally 95% of the Earth's oceans are unexplored. There is a whole world full of marvelous organisms and landscapes just waiting to be explored and discovered. Facts like these are the reason why I love to study geography in my free time, as this knowledge of Earth increases my determination to make an impact in the world. My passion for the subject of geography is the reason why I would create the class "Broadening Our Perspectives: An Exploration of Our Incredible Planet". This class, combining human and physical geography, will go over humans and their affairs on Earth. It will also include the landscapes and natural phenomenon that surround humans, and their significance to not only human life, but to life of other organisms as well. Upon leaving the class, my hope is for my students to have achieved three goals. The first goal is that they understand the significance of global interdependence, especially between humans and natural landscapes. The second goal is that my students learn and appreciate the different cultures and regions of the world, eliminating any stereotypes brought upon them. Finally, the third and most important goal is for my students to realize how big and diverse the world is. This realization will help them broaden their perspectives, allowing them to realize the countless opportunities the world provides for them, providing them with ambition to chase their dreams.

Any criticism is welcome. Emory is my number 1 school and i really need this essay to be top-notch. Thanks in advance!
mlozano11 4 / 18 3  
Out of the many islands in the Caribbean, about remove just 2% of them are inhabited. Additionallyinsert comma 95% of the Earth's oceans are unexplored. There is a whole world full of marvelous organisms and landscapes just waiting to be explored and discovered. Facts like these are the reason why I love to study geography in my free time, as this knowledge of Earth increases my determination to make an impact in the world. My passion for the subject of geography is the reason why I would create the class "Broadening Our Perspectives: An Exploration of Our Incredible Planet". This class, combining human and physical geography, will go over humans and their affairs on Earth. It will also include the landscapes and natural phenomenon that surround humans, and their significance to not only human life, but to life of other organisms as well. Upon leaving the class, my hope is for my students to have achieved three goals. The first goal is that they understand the significance of global interdependence, especially between humans and natural landscapes. The second goal is that my students learn and appreciate the different cultures and regions of the world, eliminating any stereotypes brought upon themOkay, so you went from geography to stereotypes of people...read my final comment. . Finally, the third and most important goal is for my students to realize how big and diverse the world is. This realization will help them broaden their perspectives, allowing them to realize the countless opportunities the world provides for them, providing them with ambition to chase their dreams.

As I begin to read your essay, I'm immediately thinking your created class is going to be solely about geographical exploration and the study of other living things. But then, approaching the end of your essay, you touch on different type of people. Now I'm thinking, "you went from geography and biology to cultural studies and stereotypes?" Another thing about teaching is the "how." Sure, the question didn't ask you but how will you make it so students leave with what you intend them to leave with. That is, how will they "broaden their perspectives" (and of what) and how will they achieve your three goals?

Hope I was of some help!
SilverKnight 15 / 55 4  
You do show a passion for geographical studies and have a well organized paper. Also, there doesn't seem to be any grammatical issues. However, the description of the class sounds very much like a World Geography class, which tackles both environment and culture. I guess the best option for you would shrink and expland; cutting down on one aspect to emphasize another aspect. In doing so, you could possibly add more uniqueness to this class you would like to create.

I hope I was helpful.

Home / Undergraduate / Broadening Our Perspectives: An Exploration of Our Incredible Planet - Emory Supplement