Why Brown- "I'm like a T-ball player"

theloniusjaz 3 / 5  
Please tell us more about your interest in Brown: Why does Brown appeal to you as a college option? Who or what has influenced your decision to apply? (1000 characters max)

Saying "I want to study cognitive science" is basically the same as saying "I want to be a baseball player." Neither statement provides sufficient detail. Every baseball player has chosen a position in which to specialize. A small child new to baseball does not know which position is best suited to their likes and talents, so they need the freedom to try all of the positions before deciding on their specialty.

In the same way, a freshman first deciding on a cognitive science major does not yet know their field of specialization. This uncertainty is why I am interested in Brown. Like a T-ball player, I need the freedom to choose my focus on my own. In order to ensure that Brown would give me this freedom, I looked at the curriculum that is offered for a cognitive science student. While there are core, required classes, there is also an amazing variety of electives to choose from. I can try my hand at classes in psychology, neuroscience, computer science, anthropology, and even philosophy before deciding what area I would like to focus my attention on.

This is currently 1,079 characters. If you could please tell me where I could expand and where I can cut information, that would be great. I know this has a lot of work to do.
Vagivan 2 / 10  
i like the analogy a lot, maybe because i'm a baseball player myself lol
its definitely original, to me at least
i would try to expand on finding more in stuff that is directly related to Brown as this essay seems like it could be applied to most other universities

if you could help me out with my essays too that would be awesome =)
kevin4082003 1 / 2  
Great start with your comparison between the baseball player and yourself.

In the same way, a freshman first deciding on a cognitive science major does not yet know their field of specialization. This uncertainty is why I am interested in Brown. Like a T-ball player do you mean baseball player?, I need the freedom to choose my focus on my own. In order to ensure that Brown would give me this freedomsounds a bit awkward when you say "need" and "in order to ensure", I looked at the curriculum that is offered for a cognitive science student. While there are core, required classes, there is also an amazing variety of electives to choose from. I can try my hand at classes in psychology, neuroscience, computer science, anthropology, and even philosophy before deciding what area I would like to focus my attention on. perhaps you can talk about and expand upon why certain classes or electives that you've looked at that really interest you as apposed to just listing them out

You've kind of delved upon the topic of why Brown is an appealing university to you, as most of the things you mentioned apply to most colleges & universities. Maybe try writing about specific areas of cognitive science at Brown that differ from the other schools of which you are interested in.

It's getting there!
psh1107 3 / 6  
Nice analogy and I liked the idea a lot.
P.S. which one do you mean, baseball player or T-ball player?
angelaheartsyou 1 / 2  
I really like the analogy
If you need to cut down on characters, maybe take out the part about ensuring Brown gives this freedom and say that "Brown allows this freedom by" or something?

Home / Undergraduate / Why Brown- "I'm like a T-ball player"