Bryn Mawr supplement essay: What you expect to gain and what will you contribute

linhexi 9 / 28  
Please attach an essay of no more than one page telling us what you think you would gain from the educational experience at Bryn Mawr and what you would contribute to the community.

During the 2008 Beijing Olympic Game City Voluntary work, I was in charge of the Peking Opera Make-ups display in my area. "Why his eyebrow curves like that? " A Pakistan tourist asked me why such cunning look appeared on a very white face, while white meant purity and holiness rather than duplicity in his nation. A British man was confused by Zhang Fei's irascible temper which made him killed. I dropped into diversities of culture, religious, standards of values. And I thought there must be something same for most of people, same in heart. I designed make-ups with symbols that deeply implanted in Chinese culture, like ancient complex patterns epitomized empire's nobleness and grandeur. The trends among people curiously exploring unfamiliar culture deepened people's understanding of Chinese "symbols", reminded me of culture diversities I had been through, which I would contribute to the community I live in.

I collected my memories from tulip in Holland, Notre Dame in Paris, gorgeous the Louvre in France, and various cultures' symbols from my childhood in Europe, from which I gained inspiration when designing newspapers or painting. I told my Japanese friend that her nation used to invade my country when we were sitting on a swing at a serene dusk. Her silence gave away her doubt to such bloody history with now highly developed and peaceful society, which was the first time in my life I realized the complicated problems' existing between two nations-it's not about the truth of history, but about citizen's wiliness and sincerity to accept-for both of us. It didn't occur to me that I dare speak out what I think, and stand by with my own deed until eight years later I devoted myself to social concerns and culture communication, passionately debated over international problems, and extended Chinese culture's influence by actual practicing like paddling the Dragon Boat.

Now I am expecting my college life. I expect an environment in which indivisuals are fully attended instead of lost in the crowd and being neglected, and Bryn Mar's distinctive women's liberal arts education that offers enough attention for women intellectual development just fits my need. I intend to probe in the media and communication field, and expect wide ranges of courses to choose from, to reach a comprehensive study in this concentration, and of course, Bryn Marw's Bi-co and Tri-co surprised me. Five thousand courses-I can imagine my limitless possibilities and engagements in Bryn Mawr. I expect the college's location to be convenient and offer historical, economical, and cultural recourses while allow tranquil state of mind. I expect my vision towards future get more clear and purposeful in Bryn Mawr; I expect real practices in Bryn Mar's Media Lab, and study a fourth language in the language learning centre! I also look forward to starting a Peking Make-ups club, in which members will learn how to express history figures' emotions and characters, and get to know Chinese traditional culture from a new perspective. I wish to be part of Bryn Mawr College, with a heart that ready to let curiosity spread and meet new challenges exists.

Thank you for any critiques!
umulbaneen 4 / 27  
ok that was good for a first attempt--youve talked about a lot of stuff indicating your diversity clearly
however there seems to be a lack of coordination between these thoughts
also some of your sentences need rephrasing
for e.g. " temper which made him killed"
OP linhexi 9 / 28  
Thank you for the advice!
And I'll think about the coordination..
OP linhexi 9 / 28  
Any other ideas?
"Why his eyebrow curves like that? " A Pakistani tourist asked me why such cunning look appeared on a very white face; while white meant purity and holiness rather than duplicity in his nation.--- I used a semi-colon to help manage this complex sentence.

A British man was confused by Zhang Fei's irascible temper which made him kill .--- Is this supposed to say "kill?"

When we were sitting on a swing at a serene dusk, I told my Japanese friend that her nation used to invade my country. ---- I switched the order of this sentence to make it clearer.

Now I am preparing for my college life. I expect an environment in which individuals are fully attended instead of lost in the crowd and being neglected, and Bryn Mar's distinctive women's liberal arts education that offers enough attention for women's intellectual development, so it fits my need.

Home / Undergraduate / Bryn Mawr supplement essay: What you expect to gain and what will you contribute