Cheerleading, strong, devoted - how I have potential for success as a college student

chs2013 1 / -  
Tell us something that you have not already told us in this application that will help us better understand your potential for success as a college student at the University of South Carolina.

I now realize and appreciate how I subconsciously directed myself into the person I am today. At 8 years old, I decided to try out for a competitive cheerleading team. I did not apprehend the difference between school cheerleading and the world of competitive cheerleading. The expectation and difficulty levels were incomparable. I was anticipating the coaches teaching us a cheer or how to shake pom poms but just the first day of tryouts I was taught to trust four girls to throw and catch me 10 ft. in the air. Over 7 years, I learned how to take in constructive criticism and use the advice to improve my skills. I learned the meaning of the words committed and dedication. Cheerleading consisted of about 12 hours a week of practice and traveling all over the country to compete. I learned how to dare and push myself into trying new skills, even if it did mean scraping up my knees for the next ten practices. My greatest achievement through cheerleading is that I learned how to become a teammate. I know how to encourage a teammate when they are down, how to listen to my teammates and be able to give out feedback as well, and how to work with forty other girls to showcase our best talent as a team.

In 2009 when I was training for the most large and advanced competition of the season, I broke 2 growth plates in my hand. I remember the tears rolling down my face when the doctor said I could not participate for 6 weeks. I considered that as 72 hours of not perfecting my skills and letting my team down. I still attended every practice and counted down the days until I could join. I assumed that the day I went back that everything would be the same, but that wasn't the case. I set a goal not only for myself but for my team to gain my skills back to compete at the Worlds competition in Orlando, Fl. After weeks of hard work I was packing my suitcase and ready to go. My competitive cheerleading career grew from weeks to months to years and as time went by I not only grew to love the sport but the person I had become. Being a part of competitive cheerleading and a team molded me into a strong, devoted person who knows how to work hard and accomplish goals. Learning these skills early in life gives me the potential to succeed as a person in the community and as a student apart of the University of South Carolina.
Paalexander 2 / 9  
Make it a story. You're asking me to take your word for everything.bim sure admissions have heard about cheer leading try outs just as much as they've heard about the winning basketball shot. This isn't unique. Try starting your story off not cliche, so don't say you were at the top of the pyramid, do something creative. Maybe like, " cindy's lotion smelled like theater popcorn." A good first sentence is mandatory.

Home / Undergraduate / Cheerleading, strong, devoted - how I have potential for success as a college student