Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Chicago, the scientific community" - Why Northwestern?

afwebb 6 / 17  
Just finished my Northwestern essay. It's not the best, nor the most original, but I'm fine with that. Any advice would be great on anything you see wrong with it; I would be glad to reciprocate the favor. It's not very long, and I'm not sure if thats a problem. Let me know if you think I should try and add more to it.

What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

Having lived in Naperville, Illinois as a child I can recall visiting the beaches of Northwestern's campus. Being only five years old at the time I doubt I even knew what the word "university" meant, but I remember seeing the campus and wanting to go there someday. Of course I had very few reasons why I wanted to go at that time, aside from Northwestern's proximity to my house at the time and its beautiful campus. Since then, I've developed a few better reasons why I know, as a seventeen year old, find attending Northwestern to be an ideal opportunity.

Topping the list is the integrated science program unique to Northwestern. My prospective field is physics, and it has become apparent to me that in order to anything with physics a solid background in mathematics is prerequisite. As such an undergraduate experience that not only has a solid physics department, but an effective means by which these two fields can be incorporated was one of the largest contributing factors in my college decision. Thus a "tailor-made honors curriculum that integrates mathematics with the sciences" is ideal for me to reach my goals not only in the next four years, but as I advance to graduate school and a career. I hope to be involved in research someday, and in order to make a contribution to the scientific community experience in all fields of science and as well as research is essential. The integrated science program offered by Northwestern meets any and all hopes I could have to give me the tools to be successful in the future.

Many of those I have told my career plans to have been surprised I hope to attend a liberal arts university, thinking a liberal arts focus detracts from the "hardcore" scientific curriculum. I don't find this to be the case with Northwestern. The fact Northwestern is a liberal arts university means to me that I can receive a multifaceted education in any field I have interest while pursuing my major, and infuse these other fields to my own interest of study. Not to mention the lack of reputation as a school for physics majors means I can get more hands-on attention and experience with less competition for lab space and smaller class sizes.

Since having lived near the Chicago area when I was younger I still remember the awe I experienced while in that city. I would revel in the opportunity to return to that area again in the pursuit of knowledge at a first-rate university and take in all the experience and knowledge that area has to offer.

Home / Undergraduate / "Chicago, the scientific community" - Why Northwestern?