College admission essay for UIC on the Word "why"

rougeandroid 1 / -  
Essay Prompt
"The personal statement is carefully considered in the admission selection process. This is the opportunity for you to tell us more about yourself and your goals or interest in a particular field of study, your readiness for college, preparedness for the major, as well as your activities and accomplishments. Explain any personal experience, responsibilities and/or challenges that have impacted you or your academic achievements and/or your choice of career. Please be as detailed as possible."

I'm just wondering if this be good enough meet the criteria for the essay prompt.

Essay:

Why? Is a question that we ask ourselves when we want to discover the world around us. It a necessary step we must take to gain knowledge and open up the infinite confines of the world. Why, is a defining term in science because without it most of the scientific discoveries we have today wouldn't have been discovered. For me this one word can define my ability to gain new knowledge and information. It offers me a greater understanding of the world around me and people that occupy it. Mostly importantly it fuels my curiosity in into the field of computer science.

Ever since I was a little kid I've been around computers. Any and everything that was about them interested me. I would mess around with the household computer to see what would happen when I did certain things on it. Messing with different settings in the control panel and seeing the results of my tinkering on the screen. When things went wrong with the household computer I would try to fix them myself. If my attempts failed in which they always would, my dad would have to take it into the shop to get it repaired. I just enjoyed taking apart electronic and toys as a child just to see how their innards worked. Even if it meant breaking them in the process for my thirst of knowledge and discovery. Learning, I felt, has something that has been part of me every since I was kid. So you see, learning has propelled me ever since I was a child.

As I grew older I became fascinated with what is possible through computers. The day that I built my first computer I felt like a kid in a candy shop once I had everything up and running. On the first computer that build I leant how to change certain things in the bios. This lead to me finding ways to getting the most of out of that system. Then in high school I took a computer courses in web programming and Cisco networking that stimulated my interest even more in this particular area of study. It got my geared toward how computers could be used in the real world. And the need for skilled workers that can solves problems with computing. When I was researching possible major for me to declare I choose computer science as career path because it felt like a natural path for me.

The reason that choose computer science as major because of the talent and dedication one must have to succeed in it. Many of the concepts and ideas require immense knowledge in different subjects to make programs and hardware. There are vast amount of different jobs in this field that requires someone with a computer science degree to either design or fix hardware to meet the goals of a business. Or to develop software that is either used for consumer or business usage. I like that in this field it is ever changing and requires you to gain new skills. Also, it gives me the ability to think creatively to solve different problems. These are the things I would want to have in my future career choice.

My career goals are to have a position as a software engineer for a corporation that creates software for business solutions. I want to be a software engineer for a business where I can find solutions to problems and increase productivity. To me, it is like putting together the pieces of a puzzle and solving problems is what fascinates me about this career path. This is a career that I know that offers great job opportunities and it is also a field in which I can adapt and grow in.

I decided to take classes at Prairie State College to prepare myself for UIC, so that when the time was right I would be able to meet the requirements in such a competitive and rigorous program. I have completed mostly all of my general educations requirements. By the end of this semester I will have most of my science requirements done and started on my math requirements. Over the last couple of semester I was able get my mathematical skills up to strict standards that are held at the UIC School of Engineering. I'm currently right now I'm in General Chemistry I and Calculus I; which are two classes that I'm doing very well in. Also, I took intro to computer programming that give me a starting point on how programs work and how to write them. Outside of class I have been teaching myself how to program in C. Which shows that I have the initiative to learn on my own. Therefore, the classes that I took at prairie state college will have prepared me to become a successful student at UIC.

Overall the word "why" has been a defining word in my life. It has molded and shaped the person that I am. From this one word it shaped the reason why I like to learn and have since I was kid. It developed my interested in many different things, especially computers. It is a word that can lead those who seek on the path of knowledge and discovery.
Perry - / 3  
Essay:

Why? Is a question that we ask ourselves when we want to discover the world around us. It is a necessary step we must take to gain knowledge and open up the infinite confines of the world. Why, is a defining term in science, because without it, most of the scientific discoveries we have today wouldn'tnot have been discovered. For me, this one word can define my ability to gain new knowledge and information. It offers me a greater understanding of the world around me and the people that occupy it. Mostly importantly, it fuels my curiosity in into the field of computer science.

Ever since I was a little kid I'vehave been around computers. Any andE verything that was about them interested me. I would mess around with the household computer to see what would happen when I did certain things on it. Messing with different settings in the control panel and seeing the results of my tinkering on the screen. When things went wrong with the household computer I would try to fix them myself. If my attempts failed in which they always would, my dad would have to take it into the shop to get it repaired. I justsimply enjoyed taking apart electronics and toys as a child just to see how their innards worked. Even if it meant breaking them in the process for my thirst of knowledge and discovery. Learning, I felt, hasis something that has been part of me every since I was kid. So you see, learningunderstanding "why" has propelled me ever since I was a childmy beginnings. As I grew older I became fascinated with what is possible through the use of computers. The day that I built my first computer I felt like a kid in a candy shop once I had everything up and running. On the first computer that build, I lear nt how to change certain things in the bios. This lea d to me finding ways toin getting the most of out of that system. Then, in high school I took a computer courses in web programming and Cisco networking thatwhich stimulated my interest even more in this particular area of study. It got me geared toward how computers could be used in the real world a nd the need for skilled workers that can solves problems with computing. When I was researching possible majorsfor me to declare, I choo se computer science as career path becauseas it felt like the natural path for me .

The reason thatI choo se computer science as major because of the talent and dedication one must have to succeed in it. Many of the concepts and ideas require immense knowledge in different subjects to make programs and hardware. There are vast amount of different jobs in this field that requires someone with a computer science degree to either design or fix hardware to meet the goals of a business, or in developing software that is either used for consumer or business usage. I like that in this field it is ever changing and requires you to gain new skills. Also, it gives me the ability to think creatively to solve different problems. These are the things I would want to havedesire in my future career choice.

My career goals are to have a position as a software engineer for a corporation that creates software for business solutions. I want to be a software engineer for a business where I can find solutions to problems and increase productivity. To me, it is like putting together the pieces of a puzzle, and solving problems is what fascinates me most about this career path. This is a career that I know that offers great job opportunities and it is also a field in which I can adapt and grow in.

I decided to take classes at Prairie State College to prepare myself for UIC, so that when the time was right I would be able to meet the requirements in such a competitive and rigorous program. I am close to completionhave completed mostly all of my general educational requirements, and by the end of this semester I will have most of my science requirements donecompleted and started on my math requirements. Over the last couple of semesters I was able get my mathematical skills up to the strict standards that are held at the UIC School of Engineering. I'mI am currently right now I'm in General Chemistry I and Calculus I; which are two classes that I'mI am doing very well in. Also, I took intro to computer programming that ga ve me a starting point on how programs work and how to write them. Outside of class, I have been teaching myself how to program in C. Which shows that I have the initiative to learn on my own. Therefore, the classes that I took at P rairie S tate C ollege will have prepared me to become a successful student at UIC.

Overall, the word "why" has been a definingedword in my life. It has molded and shaped the person that I am. From this one word it shaped the reason why I like to learn and have since I was kidenjoying to learn has been a lifelong passion to me . It developing my interests in many different things, especially computers. It is a word that can lead those who seek on the path of knowledge and discovery.

Home / Undergraduate / College admission essay for UIC on the Word "why"