college essay for duquesne university; 'unique quality is something very strong'

gxnoside 1 / -  
Tell us something unique about you, why you chose your particular major, and how you expect Duquesne University to help you achieve your academic, personal and professional goals. Please include any examples of your research, shadowing or volunteer experiences.

Will somebody please revise this??? I need editing, it's not finished yet, but i need to know my progress!! Much appreciated

A unique quality in regards to a person, is something very strong. A unique quality is an aspect to a person that could define one's entire life. Something that's entirely unique about me, is that i've been diagnosed with a learning disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder; ADHD for short. What's unique about this situation, pertaining to me, is not only being diagnosed with a disorder such as this, but being able to cop with it and ultimately mastering how to make the best out of it. Ever since seventh grade came around the corner, I thought my life had changed entirely, but not it a good way. Everyday, I was missing school due do doctor's appointments, so they could run tests/diagnostics on me. After awhile, I began feeling like a nothing more than a test subject to them. Aside from all the tests, I was also on and off new medications. These medications were meant to help, which I understood, but after going through a plethora of different pills, the doctors were finally able to find a medication that best suited me. From that point on it clicked, I resumed school, actively participated in classes and good way better grades. Since seventh grade, a relapse did occur, where I went off my medications due to a doctor switch. During that period of time, I was in fact able to function as efficiently as if I had the pills in my system. I learned for years on end, aside from trying to perfect my focusing skills, but how to manage my time well, ultimately forming a routine. Since my diagnosis, I've been able to maintain good grades, actively participate in school clubs, continue to have a fun social life and while doing all of this, I've been fighting against a serious learning disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. Thus, my unique quality that I have, which differs from all else, is the ability of not giving of at the worst of times and taking that situation and making the best out of it.

Throughout my life, people have profiled me as a skillful salesmen. For as a little kid, I was able to talk people into or out of committing themselves to certain situations. Adults have told me, that I'm strong-willed, determined, and most importantly, very understanding. I also have a very successful uncle, who has a masters in business, majoring in the category of finance within the business wing. With being told that and having a close resource such as my uncle, I decided to major in finance. Considering that people have told me I belong in the business world and that I have an uncle to receive phenomenal advice from, how couldn't I major in finance? Duquesne University, is the gateway college that could help me extend my education in receiving a finance degree. Majoring in finance is just the beginning, I not only want to receive a degree in finance, but a masters in business as well. I want to extend a quality education and further perfect my people skills in the art of business. I've never been more certain when saying, I know Duquesne will provide nothing but a safe and quality college atmosphere, but aside from that, a fine education as well. My mother, Diana Johnson, is indeed an alumni from Duquesne University and when she tells me something, not acknowledging her advice isn't in the cards. She attended the pharmacy program there and said she's had outstanding professors, along with respectable colleagues. When it comes to my mom, her word means a lot to me and can go along way. Since she's attended classes and visited now with me, she said nothing but positive things about the campus, such as upgrades all around. When hearing about such a respectable reputation such as Duquesne's and knowing who I am as a person, that it's a perfect fit. All my life i've attended St. Valentine Church with my grandparents. Knowing that Duquesne does indeed have a powerful sense of spiritualism within the college history itself, I'm hoping with the insight that Duquesne could provide for me, I could then, in my own time become more apart of my church than I already am. When it comes to religion, no one is more serious than my grandmother. Nothing would make me happier than being able to participate in mass in a more involved way than just attending church with her. The problem is, I am not that familiar with religion in ways beyond what church's preach to the people. When it comes to an aspect such as that, religion, I know that no other college in the pittsburgh area, is as well rounded as Duquesne in providing a good spiritual background, as well as providing a great academic background too.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
A unique quality in regards to a person, is something very strong. A unique quality is an aspect to a person that could define one's entire life.

I would omit these sentences, i think that they don't help you start out, begin with the next sentence. You don't have to actually keep saying "unique"

You say: "Something that's entirely unique about me, is that i've been diagnosed with a learning disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder; ADHD for short."

Maybe say it like this: "There is an aspect of my life that, without a doubt, has defined me as a person. It is a unique quality about the way my mind works. I have a learning disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder; ADHD for short."

What's unique about this situation, pertaining to me, is not only being diagnosed with a disorder such as this, but being able to cop with it and ultimately mastering how to make the best out of it.

This might sound better: "This diagnosis has caused me to experience a unique struggle of coping and mastering the negative effects on my learning."

Ever since seventh grade came around the corner, I thought my life had changed entirely, but not it a good way.
Be more clear about this statement. You might want to explain that seventh grade was a turning point for you, it is great the way you describe the process of your diagnosis.

My mother, Diana Johnson, is indeed an alumni from Duquesne University, and when she tells me something, notI must acknowledge her advice.isn't in the cards.

Home / Undergraduate / college essay for duquesne university; 'unique quality is something very strong'