"A Comeback from dull start" - UC prompt #2

Nyamuk 2 / 1  
If you ask me about my personal quality when I was still in high school, I would probably cannot answer the question. It was because I never struggle with problem or aim for something. I never felt the joy of achieving something from my hard work. However, everything changed as I went into college in De Anza College. College life made me realize that life was not so easy that I can get away with it without putting any effort in pursuing my future. "Only with determination and hard work, can I be the very best of myself". It was what my father told me, whenever he saw me regret for what I have done wrong. Nevertheless, I never really understand the meaning until I went to college. I never knew that my father tried to tell me that if I didn't put enough effort in it, I would only regret it, no matter what I did. Over the year, I developed determination as my best quality, which is the main core of my pursuit of dream that is supported by hard work and curiosity.

During the early quarters in De Anza College, I had a trouble in adapting to the learning style which made me unable to do the learning process maximally. When I received the grade for the quarter, I was so desperately regret that I was unable to do well in that class. As expected, my father said the same phrase again, "Only with determination and hard work, one could be the very best of himself". Despite that I hadn't used to the college life, I realized that I need to spend more time revising my note in order to improve my understanding of the subject.

Since then, I always spare sometime everyday to review the note I took in class. Although laziness sometimes come and disturb me, luckily I always spent reasonable amount of time to review my notes. Eventhough in the beginning, it was hard to catch up due to my inability to quickly adapt with college life, which is totally different from my high school. As I entered my third quarter in De Anza college, I was able to come back from the "slump period" of my college life. In the third quarter, I had to focus all of my attention to Math class because I didn't want to repeat the same mistake that I've made in the previous Math class. I spent quite some time everyday to did some practice problem, and came to the study group. In the end of the quarter, I was delighted by the fact that I got B+ in that class. It might seem trivial to some people, but it clearly showed me that my effort came to a fruitful result. Since then, I never looked down on any class I took and make sure I spent enough time studying for the class.

During my freshman year, I have been shown of what can one's determination bring to us. Based on the experience I had, I am extremely convinced that I am not less competitive than any other applicants are. With big desire and self-assurance as the core, I am willing to develop myself further, and channeling my talent for something that may bring a positive impact on myself and society.

constructive comments are very appreciated. i also need help with the conclusion part. Thanks in advance...
RyanVi16 12 / 91  
everything changed aswhen I went in to college in De Anza College.

life was not so easy that I can get away (escape) with it without

whenever he saw memy regret for what I have done wrongwhen i have done something wrong.

I never knew that my father was tryingtried to tell me that if I didn't put in enough effort in it , I would only regret it, no matter what I did (rephrase: no matter what i do, it would only end with regret)

had a trouble in adapting to the learning style which made me unable to do the learning process maximally maximize my learning ability.

When I received thebad grades for the quarter, I was so desperately regret that I was unable to do well in that class (that i did not try harder?)

Even though

I spent quite some time everyday todid doing some practice problems

Since then, I never looked down on any class I took and mad e sure I spent enough time studying for the class.

During my freshman year, I have been shown of what can one's determination bring to us. (just take this sentence out)

With great desire (or big ambition if you wish)

Ok, you repeat yourself A LOT in this essay, so i urge you to reread and take out sentences that you already mentioned. It's a short essay so you don't have to keep remind the reader what they read three seconds ago.

Good luck and have a great day :)

Home / Undergraduate / "A Comeback from dull start" - UC prompt #2