Cornell College of Engineering Essay

alphacat92 3 / 8  
College of Engineering: Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or interest.

From rockets flying through space faster than bullets to robots too small to see with the human eye, engineers have been involved with the advancement of life. Seeing the recent technological advancements that were developed, I can only admire the work this prestigious career produces. Now, as I apply to college, I have a chance to join the ranks of the men and women responsible for improvements of life never before deemed possible.

Ever since I was a kid watching my father work as an engineer, I became interested in engineering. Whenever one of my toys broke, I would sit on the couch and take it apart instead of throwing it out. I sometimes sat for hours, marveling at how the toy worked and was designed and how it can be improved. By looking at different toys, I observed how the same idea can be interpreted and executed differently by different engineers. As I grew older, I pursued my interest in cars, looking at different engines and even taking some apart. Again, I was amazed at the differences in some of the engine components of different cars. I would often ask my father why some components are designed differently, and we would talk for hours about the manufacturing process and function of the different components. After these debates, I would often be left with the smile on my face that came when I realized someone had a great idea and designed something to carry it out in the best and most efficient way possible.

When I started high school, I was very anxious to start taking engineering classes at my school. These classes were unlike any other classes I had taken before; instead of being taught something and told to memorize it, I was taught how something and told to apply it to solve a specific problem. I was amazed by the diversity of solutions developed by my peers and I, and would often take note of how the strengths of all the solutions could be combined to produce the best design. When I took more advanced math and science classes, I was taught about different theories and governing laws. Seeing how engineers applied these theories in real life only increased my interest in engineering and attested my desire to pursue it further.

At Cornell University, I would be able to pursue my interest in engineering in ways unmatched by other institutions. The world-renowned professors and faculty will ensure I get the best education possible and help me apply my education to real-world situations. The state-of-the-art facilities will help me with these applications, as will the internships and opportunities to work in the field with Cornell's many partners. The invaluable experience that will be gained through this use of Cornell's facilities and partnerships will allow me to use my education to help solve ongoing problems such as the energy crisis and developing innovative "green" technology. Additionally, the ability to study and even research different engineering principles will make me a better problem solver and allow me to use these skills in the future, where I plan to study medicine.

Specifically, I'm not so sure about the content in the last paragraph and if it sufficiently answers the essay prompt. The second sentence in the second paragraph and the the fourth sentence in the fourth paragraph are also worrying me a bit, I'm not sure if they're coherent.

Thank you guys and Happy New Year!
I think your whole first paragraph is too general and it should be cut. I really like your paragraph 2, though! Do you want to start the essay like this? ----> Ever since I was a kid watching my father work as an engineer, I have been interested in engineering. Whenever one of my toys broke, I would sit...

This (above) is an excellent way to start an essay. The reader is suddenly there with you taking something apart.

I was amazed by the diversity of solutions developed by my peers, and I would often tak e note of how the strengths ...

Additionally, the ability to study and even research different various engineering principles will make me a better problem-solver, skillful with the use of critical thinking, which will be crucial when I begin my study of and allow me to use these skills in the future, where I plan to medicine.

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell College of Engineering Essay