Cornell A&S Supplement-Psychology and Creative Writing

cmyork2016 1 / 1  
THIS IS DUE IN 11 HOURS! PLEASE HELP!

Describe two or three of your current intellectual interests and why they are exciting to you. Why will Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences be the right environment in which to pursue your interests? (Please limit your response to 650 words.)

"If you could have one superpower, what would it be?" I have answered this question many times over the years, but my answer has always remained the same: I would want the ability to read people's minds. The brain fascinates me. Everyone has one, and yet no two people's thoughts, perceptions, and feelings are exactly the same.

During my junior year, I took AP Psychology which turned my minor interest into a passion. I began to see how psychology can be seen in every aspect of our lives. The mind is involved in every decision we make, every belief we hold, and every emotion we feel. From beautiful poetry to scientific discoveries, anything that humans create or discover would be impossible without the soft, gray organ that resides in our head.

Psychology is a relatively new field in the grand scheme of time, only becoming a distinct discipline in the late 1800s. A lot has been discovered in this little amount of time, but there is still so much to discover. Psychology is a dynamic field, constantly changing with each new study and experiment, and that is what draws me to it.

Once I discovered my love of psychology, it was impossible to ignore it. When I am out in public, I find myself watching the way people interact. I look for clues into their personality and try to determine the kind of person they are. I want to know how they use the incredible brains that they were given.

When I am not analyzing people's interactions, I am creating stories about them in my head. The businessman hunched over his computer in the corner of the coffee shop is actually a hacker trying to get into the FBI database. The woman in front of me at the grocery store is in a rush because she is a superhero who just got called in for work. In my mind, no one is who they appear to be, and this type of thinking fuels my passion for writing fiction.

I find the writing process of fiction stories fascinating. These authors create entire worlds inside the pages of their novels. New languages are invented and new people are crafted solely from the minds of their creators. I am drawn to the intricateness of these stories, and my fascination with the ways they are created is the predominant reason I want write and publish a work of fiction of my own. I have written many stories over the years, and some I have even shared online, but one of my biggest dreams is see one of my novels on the shelves of a bookstore.

Cornell University has the courses, professors, and opportunities I need to fulfill my dreams. If I am admitted, I intend to major in psychology with a concentration in social psychology and personality and complete a minor in creative writing. I want to take classes like PSYCH 3270-Field Practicum which will allow me to see firsthand how the knowledge I gain inside the classroom can be applied in the real world. I want to take classes like ENGL 3820 Intermediate Narrative Writing and ENGL 4800 Advanced Narrative Writing that require a submitted manuscript just to be considered for enrollment. I want to do research in the Pizarro Laboratory and make breakthroughs in the way we understand moral judgment and emotion. I want to study abroad and take internships.
aml 2 / 5  
I thought it was great! Definitely interesting and you were able to condense a lot of feelings and information into it about both your passions, and also show how passionate you are about Cornell. A few suggestions:

In this part, "I find myself watching the way people interact. I look for clues into their personality and try to determine the kind of person they are," I would change people to individuals or perhaps restructure the second sentence so that the it matches the plurality of the one preceding it.

"I want to take classes like ENGL 3820 Intermediate Narrative Writing and ENGL 4800 Advanced Narrative Writing that require a submitted manuscript just to be considered for enrollment ." I don't think you need this.

"but one of my biggest dreams is to see one of my novels on the shelves of a bookstore."

And my last suggestion would be to maybe add a final sentence that really concludes it and connects it back to Cornell as a whole.

Hope you get in!! :-)
Cassandra, I know your essay is long submitted at this time but
I would like to give you pointers on writing an essay for future reference.

- research on the topic at hand
- minimize your thoughts
- go straight to the point
- keep your essay clear and concise
- present it in a way that you would on the final day of submission
- make sure that you proof read it yourself before letting anyone read it
- write as many drafts as you can
- make mistakes and learn from it

Last but not the least, ass a personal touch in all your writing pieces unless otherwise
stated on the prompt.

I hope to see more of your articles, remember, you can only be the best in
what you do if you put your heart into it, continue learning
and keep your toes on the ground, never be afraid to ask, best of luck!!!

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell A&S Supplement-Psychology and Creative Writing