Corruption in Africa Research (Northwestern University)

rifatmursalin 13 / 36  
The prompt for Northwestern University was:
If you have done research or independent study outside of school, please include an abstract or summary of your work on a separate sheet.

Does Corruption Impact the Internal Displacement of Nations in Conflict?
"A Case Study"
By: Rifat Mursalin

"INTERNAL DISPLACEMENT has emerged as one of the great human tragedies of our time." wrote Kofi Annan, former Secretary-General of the United Nations. Approximately 26 million people worldwide are currently displaced internally as a result of conflicts or human rights violations. Internally displaced persons (IDPs) are people who were forced to escape their homes because their lives were threatened, but unlike refugees, remain within their country's borders. Although IDPs now outnumber refugees by two to one, their situations receive far less international attention. IDPs in Africa represent more than 40 percent of the total IDP population worldwide. Sudan has the largest internally displaced population in Africa, followed by Democratic Republic of the Congo and Somalia. Most of the countries affected by internal displacement in Africa have experienced severe problems such as crises of national identity and unity, ineffective government authority and control, limited capacity for economic efficiency, and finally, civil war or armed revolution. Behind the foundation of all of these calamities, lies the malice of corruption. This paper considers whether corruption directly influence the people to displace internally in nations in conflict by responding to the following questions:

1. What are some causes of the internal displacement in Africa?
2. How is corruption impacting the African people?
3. What are the impacts of internal displacement in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Sudan, and Somalia?
Corruption immobilizes the governmental authority and leads to crisis of national unity, which leads to civil wars, and which consequently leads to mass internal displacements.

I simply mentioned what questions the research would answer. I didn't go into detail because they said just a summary. Any comment or feedback??

Thanks :)
breakingRenee 5 / 11  
If you are going to be sending a copy of the paper this is fine.. but if not you may want to include the findings of your research

Home / Undergraduate / Corruption in Africa Research (Northwestern University)