'cruelty of human nature' Beloved by Toni Morrison - UVA SUPPLEMENT

aaamonicaaa 3 / 11 3  
Prompt: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?

Beloved by Toni Morrison infiltrated my life with the unsettling question of the cruelty of human nature.
Beloved is the ghost of an infuriated infant who was murdered by her own mother that forbids her first born daughter to live a life of a slave. The novel carries on through with the haunting of the past and shows the detrimental effects it has on the main characters.

While reading this book, I was tortured by the cruelty that Morrison presented. How could a mother murder her own two year old daughter but keep the two sons and her second daughter? Contrastingly, how could Beloved haunt and seek revenge in such a severe and inhumane way and strive and make her family be in the most miserable condition by starving them and constricting their social atmosphere?

It was a never ending circle of malice that was intertwined with a speck of benevolence that would unfortunately lead to more gargantuan spite. It was unsettling to read and to imagine that the present world could become the world of Beloved and Seethe (the mother).
boston1002 2 / 19 3  
You should add more imagery and make it more of a story to be told from your point of view. I feel that you are giving a summary of the book.. I don't think a college cares for a summary of a book. Your last point is brilliant however and it should be one of your first couple of sentences. This would allow you to elaborate on it and build a solid supplement.

If you don't mind, would you care to help me on my short response down below? :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'cruelty of human nature' Beloved by Toni Morrison - UVA SUPPLEMENT