Day with the suphero named Daredevil - NYU Prompt 1

nogasa 14 / 37  
If you had the opportunity to spend one day in New York City with a famous New Yorker, who would it be and what would you do? (Your New Yorker can be anyone -past or present, fictional or nonfictional - who is commonly associated with New York City; they do not necessarily have to have been born and raised in New York.)

So I saw the word "fictional" and decided I'd take the riskier route and choose a new yorker who doesn't really exist. It took some time but i settled on Daredevil. First off I'd like to know if you think it's a good idea, or a bad one.

Here's what I have so far, I don't really know what direction to go from here. I was going to focus on the fact that he's a lawyer during the day, but i'm not really sure what to do from there.

"Um yes I think I'll order the bacon and cheddar omelet" I tell the waiter, before handing the diner's breakfast menu to him. I look across the table at my friend, Matt Murdock, who is still deciding what he wants.

Although he's blind, Matt needs no assistance in reading the menu. Using his heightened sense of touch, he simply brushes his fingers across the letters of the page in order to read the description of each dish. "I'll have the steak and hash combo" he finally decides. The waiter jots down the order, takes the menu, and walks away.

Although he's one of the best around, not many people know Matt Murdock the lawyer. Most know him by another title, the fearless superhero Daredevil. As a boy, Matt lost his sense of sight when some radioactive wasted accidentally splashed into his eyes. While the radiation destroyed his vision, it greatly enhanced all his other senses. Nowadays, he uses his heightened abilities to fight New York's crime, donned in crimson tights and armed with his trademark Billy club.

Our orders arrive, and we devour them in a very short amount of time. After the bill is paid, Matt suggests we head over to his office, so he can show me what he does for a living. I agree, and so we walk to Nelson & Murdock Law Offices.
chanj 3 / 6  
i like the idea of daredevil but i think you should reveal more about yourself rather than on describing this superhero.
i'm applying to NYU too, and i got really good tips about the NYU app from this site wiselikeus.com/collegewise/2009/11/start-spreadin-the-nyu-tips.html
OP nogasa 14 / 37  
Thanks for the site it opened my eyes a bit, but it made me rethink doing Daredevil. I'm wondering whether a fictional person is wise or not. And yeah i agree i do need to expand on myself in the essay rather than describe the person i'm with.
chanj 3 / 6  
mmhm.. and you might want to be a little careful though, since superheroes are quite popular, so you might not be the only one with daredevil in your apps.

don't get me wrong though, i like fictional characters-- i wrote one up about spiderman at first, but then i changed it.

what are you going to major in? it might also strengthen your apps if you wrote about someone who succeeded in that career. Like if you want to major in music, write about a musician etc.
snorlaxative 4 / 17  
Remember there is a 500 character limit in place here...
OP nogasa 14 / 37  
chanj yeah i was thinking that too but then i thought about how many people would actually do fictional new yorkers, and how many of them would do superheroes, and then how many of them would do daredevil, and by then i was too tired to think anymore so i just said whatever and chose Daredevil. But yeah I thought spiderman would be too popular too.

oh and snorlaxitive haha i misread the 500 character count for 500 word count, so yeah i have some condensing/rewriting to do. But i still am not sure about Daredevil or not. Maybe I'll just do Moe Berg.

Oh yeah, and i plan on majoring in philosophy and minoring in pschology.
qomoco 24 / 107  

umm... can you read my philosphy essay then lol? escpecially the why not para
OP nogasa 14 / 37  

Okay here's what I've written.

If I got to spend the day with any New Yorker, it'd be Matt Murdock, lawyer during the day and superhero Daredevil at night. Who better to help me decide whether to enter law or law enforcement than a man who does both? Under a clear blue sky we'd sit and discuss the role, function, and differences between law and law enforcement. He'd bring me to one of his trials where I could witness justice being served, and then at night when he dons his crimson tights we'd pursue criminals and aid the police.

Any comments would be much appreciated!
OP nogasa 14 / 37  
If I could spend a day with any New Yorker it'd be Matt Murdoch, lawyer during the day and superhero Daredevil at night. With my sights on a future in the justice system, who better to talk to than a man who both practices and enforces the law? Over lunch we'd sit and discuss the inner workings of justice, how it saves lives, and the ethics behind it. We'd go to a trial so I could see law being interpreted, and at night when Matt dons his crimson tights we'd pursue criminals and aid the police.

Okay revised again this time just focused on justice as a whole.
Comments will be greatly appreciated!

Please comment.

Please.

Home / Undergraduate / Day with the suphero named Daredevil - NYU Prompt 1