Describe personal information you want to share as a part of your admissions application

WorthyJ2001 1 / -  

Extenuating Circumstance essay

There may be personal information you want considered as part of your admissions application. Write an essay describing that information. You might include exceptional hardships, challenges, or opportunities that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, personal responsibilities, exceptional achievements or talents, educational goals, or ways in which you might contribute to an institution committed to creating a diverse learning environment.

I usually don't have trouble starting an essay, but i can't put my ideas together for this one. Please help! I'll list everything I plan to use for this paper.

-I have grown up with a dad who has been paralyzed form the waist down my whole life.
-He has put his all into putting 4 kids through school and making sure we all pass our classes.
-I never applied to any 4 year college after highschool, because I was the youngest of 4 kids and everyone else was out of the house so I felt obligated to stay at home to help take care of my father. I went to ACC during this time.

-I have had to change out bandages for him, Clean him up, give him food, because he has had about 25 surguries in the past 2 year and has been stuck to a bed for that time.

-He has had many bone infections leading doctors to amputate parts of his body which makes it hard for me to be around him since he is my father and I don't like seeing him helpless, but I still help him even though it is hard for me to keep my emotions together whenever I see him struggling.

-I have learned self-discipline, strong work ethic, and managing responsibilities while I have gotten a 3.8 at ACC while still taking care of my dad during the day.

Oh, I am a sophomore in college and I'm transferring to The University of Texas at Austin, Spring 2021.
Thank you in advance!
You have a pretty good outline of what you want to discuss. Yes, these are extenuating circumstances that you should discuss. These have had a direct effect on your maturity and your desire to complete your studies. Now that you have your topic sentences, try to expand on the discussion simply by explaining or illustrating the information in an expanded form. It should not be too hard. Just write from the heart. Get as personal as you want to be. Let the reviewer into your life so that he can understand what you went through or are going through. Most importantly, explain why these hindrances will no longer stop you from achieving your plans for a better future by completing your undergraduate studies as a transfer student. Do not mention the university you plan to transfer to. Just explain how your circumstances led you to finally understand that you need to shift universities (and courses?) if you want to get ahead in life and beat your current circumstances.

Home / Undergraduate / Describe personal information you want to share as a part of your admissions application