Home / Undergraduate   % width   Posts: 2

Determination in Sports-Personal Statement

gnooch 1 / -  
Rising senior working on my personal statement-about cheerleading and how it shaped me. I know cliché a bit but it has been the activity that defines and shapes me the most. Feedback appreciated.

As the sun beamed down, I, a nervous and timid 12-year-old girl, awaiting a letter that would impact me more profoundly than I could have anticipated. Choosing to wait until I was back in my parents' car to open it; my heart sank, and tears welled in my eyes as I read the words "Unfortunately...". The letter stated, "Unfortunately, you did not make the team." The devastation was real; cheerleading had been my dream since childhood, watching the "big" girls on the sidelines at Friday night football games. This setback, though monumental at the time, turned out to be a defining moment in my life.

Rejection was not something I have ever really experienced before. I had cheered throughout my younger years, both in football and All-Star cheerleading. When the opportunity finally arose to try out for the junior high cheerleading team, I was filled with excitement and confidence. However, that confidence quickly dissipated upon reading the rejection letter.

While my parents tried to console me, I knew I needed to navigate this disappointment on my own terms. After allowing myself to process the setback for a few days, I resolved to pick myself up and approach the next tryouts with renewed determination. My competitive nature emerged, driving me to seek feedback from the coaches and pursue various avenues for improvement, including assistance from friends and additional training at the local All-Star gym.

By the time the following year's tryouts arrived, I not only felt more confident in my skills but also in myself. With a smile on my face and sharper movements, I gave it my all, incorporating the feedback I had received. And it paid off-I finally made the team.

However, making the team was just the beginning of my journey. While initially apprehensive about keeping up with the older girls, I refused to let that fear hinder me. The rigorous practice sessions and relentless pursuit of improvement were only the start. I pushed myself to excel, both individually and as part of a team.

Over the years, cheerleading has been a transformative experience for me. From being recognized as most improved cheerleader in my junior year to earning the title of All-American in my senior year. Even with these accomplishments I have also continued to be handed disappointments, not earning All-American in my junior year to not earning captain in my senior year. I refused to let these minor setbacks define me and continue to be more determined than ever to take every single accomplishment and disappointment as a learning experience.

Thru my now 5 years of cheerleading, 4 being on the varsity squad, I have developed invaluable skills in teamwork, determination, and leadership. This drive to continually better myself extends beyond the cheerleading and into my academic pursuits in the health sciences. As I aspire to a future in neonatal nursing, I recognize that every setback serves as an opportunity for growth. Without the disappointment of not making the team initially, I may not have discovered this resilience and drive to succeed. It taught me that setbacks do not define me; rather, they propel me toward greater achievements and personal growth.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15171 4859  
I am not sure about how to review this personal statement. It does not follow the requirements of the regular personal statement, which is to present yourself as a well rounded person whose interests are diverse and character building. This personal statement focuses on only one aspect of your personality and interest, which limits the way that the reviewer will get to know you through this written interview. Since you did not provide the writing instructions for this essay, I am limited in the way that I can review your work and advise you. If I do not consider the normal personal statement requirements, then this essay just needs grammar editing before you submit it.

Home / Undergraduate / Determination in Sports-Personal Statement
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: