Personal Statement, (lunch, active in sports)

dsacks 10 / 19  
I had never eaten lunch by myself until the first day of school, freshman year. That was to become a routine that would continue for weeks, until I became more familiar with those who I would soon call my friends. Ten days before the start of school I had moved to Mill Valley to live with my father, and I was nervous. I did not know a soul in this strange place. I knew the transition would be tough, but I didn't think it would have as severe of an impact as it did. Despite the challenges I faced while transitioning to a new and different environment, my experiences have pushed me forward and made me a contributing member of my community.

I have always been active in sports. Through ten years of martial arts practice, I have learned that they provide a medium for making friends and developing teamwork and leadership skills. When the fall sports season rolled around, I set my sights on making the tennis team, or rather the Tamalpais High School tennis legacy. The team had won the league championships six out of the past ten years. There was no way I was good enough to begin with, but after months of practice, coaching and conditioning, I was ready. After five days of grueling try-outs, the captains released the roster. I made the team in the 16th of 16 spots. We had a great season and I knew I would continue on the team. The next year, we won league and came second in our sectional division. I was proud to receive my medal. When there were no medals left, three players remained empty-handed, one of whom was a senior. I stripped myself of my medal and placed it around his neck. Our coach drew me aside afterwards and told me that I would be a captain the next year, the first junior captain in over ten years.

My father has always said that the most important person in my life will be my brother. When I moved, not only did I lose a connection with a parent, I also lost a relationship with my brother. One of the hardest aspects of moving was being away from him. When he started at my school two years later, I knew he would face similar challenges as I had. Initially, as expected, he was not happy. After calming him down, I reminded him of my similar situation a few years earlier and how well it had turned out. Our parallel high school experiences have made us best friends. Whether it be sitting along side him while he does his homework or screaming at the top of my lungs on the sidelines at his soccer games, I do my best to propel him in the right direction.

In my junior year, I joined Link Crew, a club-like organization that helps ease freshmen's transition to high school. It has been extremely rewarding thus far. No one should have to deal with a difficult transition alone, especially one as impactful as beginning high school. My experience gave me a gift - insight that I would lack had I not overcome the obstacles that new students often face. During Freshman Orientation, an event put on by Link Crew, I had the opportunity to tell my story. I am proud to know that I have made life a little easier for the freshmen I helped usher into high school.

Is it too boring? Any criticism is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Danny
That was to become a routine that would continue for weeks, until I became more familiar with those I would soon call my friends.

Ten days before the start of school, I had moved to Mill Valley to live with my father, and I was nervous.

I knew the transition would be tough, but I didn't think it would have as severe an impact as it did.

There was no way I was good enough in the beginning , but after months of practice, coaching and conditioning, I was ready.

The next year, we won league and came in second in our sectional division.

No one should have to deal with a difficult transition alone, especially one as consequential as beginning high school.

My experience has given me a gift - insight that I would lack had I not overcome the obstacles that new students often face.

I don't think it's boring at all, you sound very nice.

Good luck in school!

:)
OP dsacks 10 / 19  
Kevin, thanks so much!

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Statement, (lunch, active in sports)