Discovering my passion in art history

katacyklsla2ny 2 / 3  
Although I had long been interested in both the arts and in the histories and cultures of the world, it was not until I took Art History I on a whim that I realized that these seemingly disparate interests comprised an entire field of study.

My passion and fascination with art really began when I took fine line drawing class (of two) at Fairfax High School. Although I had enjoyed art class in elementary school and even taken afterschool art lessons with a private teacher, it was not until I took these classes that I discovered that artistic ability is not a magical talent granted only to specific individuals. I found that through practice and developing technique-and some inspiration-one could produce work that surpasses even ones own expectations. The real turning point came when I chose to research Matisse for an eleventh grade painting class. We were instructed to both write a short biography of an artist, and to reproduce one of his or her works. Matisse's bold and colorful expressionistic language made a big impression on me, and even in replicating his work I found a way to voice my experience.

When I began studying at Santa Monica College, I did not have a clear idea of what field I wished to study. I took seemingly unrelated classes that interested me, such as Anthropology, Astronomy, Photography, Ethnomusicology, and the History of Architecture.

I also extended my involvement in the arts and culture beyond classroom study of classical art to include volunteer teaching of Capoeira, and Afro-Brazilian martial art, dance, and music form, teaching Yoga to children at an elementary school summer camp, and volunteering at KPFK as an assistant musical engineer for a reggae show.

Through these experiences, I had a feeling that the material I was learning and the arts and music I was exposing myself to be connected and supplemented my understanding of other subjects I was studying at the time, but the exact connection eluded me until I took the History of India and Western Art History at the same time. I began to recognize similarities of materials and design being used on different continents at the same time. I discovered my disparate interests were really connected and that connection could be seen through the study of the history of art. Through these studies I was able to learn about the evolution of cultures around the world and to relate these different cultures, peoples, and eras. I was able to learn how the techniques I had learned myself fit developed and fit into the broader realm of history, and how I could relate my passion for art to the world we live in.

By continuing to study art history at the University of California I will have the ability to broaden my educational scope to learn more about ancient art forms including the design and development of ancient instruments, to continue to learn about architecture and to study artifacts found by anthropologists, and to study the spread and the influence of religion based on art. Whereas before I felt confused about choosing a major, now I am inspired by knowing that Art History connects to so many branches of knowledge that I have been so interested in.
I just have a few revisions:

I found that, through practice, the development of technique, one could (with some inspiration) produce work that surpasses even ones own expectations.

Through my experiences in high school and college, I acquired a sense that the material I my academic studies and my study of art and music were interconnected; they supplemented my understanding of other subjects I was studying at the time, but the exact connection eluded me until I took the History of India and Western Art History at the same time.

Whereas I once felt confused about choosing a major, I am now excited to know that Art History connects with so many branches of knowledge that fascinate me.

I like the arrangement of the ideas, and especially the opening sentence.

Thanks!!

Kevin
TheFlameProof 4 / 20  
I found that through practice and developing technique-and some inspiration-one could produce work that surpasses even one's own expectations. (i think that's right.)

The real turning point came when I chose ... (I would separate this sentence into a new paragraph.)

other than this and EF_Kevin's suggestions, I think you'll be just fine.

good luck!

comment mine too! no one has yet and i'd appreciate it if you could. thanks!
OP katacyklsla2ny 2 / 3  
Thank you so much EF Kevin and The Flame Proof for revising my essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Discovering my passion in art history