Discuss your reasons for pursuing the Major/Academic Program selected above?

adepani3112 5 / 8  
There are five very common stereotypes associated with being Indian. These include: taxi drivers, 7-11 owners, to your local motel owner, medical doctor, and finally computer geeks. I am proud to promote this common stereotype by hoping to pursue a career as a computer geek. Whenever there is a conversation between friends about what we want to be when we grow up, everyone always assumes mine. Every time, they narrow it down to two. The regular, old, and mean doctor or the savvy computer geek who knows everything. Without any resentment I always laugh knowing they are partially right. Ever since I moved to America I have developed a connection with computer science and technology.

While most kids take the computer for granted and use it to play video games or watch movies, I always found the computer to be a land, jam-packed with information and opportunities. While living in India I never had access to a computer so moving to America allowed me to see with a new perspective. I realized the true potential of the computer at a young age. With so much enthusiasm, energy, and imagination, I began to interact with the computer. I saw it as a way to boost my academic career and to ascertain innovative things I wouldn't until I was older. After a couple of years of investigating and taking out unanticipated viruses, I became the go to guy in my house for anything related to the computer. From deciphering simple network glitches to discovering, unwinding, and swapping computer hardware, I was the man.

I continually saw the computer as a method of enhancing the human civilization and as a way to enrich the living conditions of the underprivileged. With the computer, humans are able to achieve great things. Since the computer permits us to interchange ideas in a matter of seconds, we are able to develop inventions everyday that change the world. If you take just one minute, you can contemplate that computers play a monumental role in lives of every human being. From surgical procedures, school work, climate change, business, space, computers are used universally. Just like a doctor, the computer can make a transformation in millions of peoples lives. I always wanted to develop software's and programs that would ease our every day life, from automatically making your coffee in the morning to driving you to work, my goal has been straight forward. I want to make a life without problems, a life where everyone is happy, a life where you cannot be held back because of financial or environmental problems, a life where everything is possible through technology. And no, I did not get that line from the Amazing Spiderman. Therefore, being part of a computer science program in the number one university in the state of North Carolina and possible the United States will allow my imagination, knowledge, and ideas to propagate so the world can develop into a healthier place for each human being.

Thanks in advance guys!
gabrieloandco 10 / 11 11  
to your local motel's owner

Without any resentment , I always laugh knowing they are partially
Just a comma missing, no big deal

allowed me to see life with a new perspective

With the computer, humans are able to achieve great things. Since the computer permitsit allows us to interchange ideas in a matter of seconds

in theliveslife of every human being.

computersthey are used universally

can make a transformation inchange/transform millions of peoples lives

I want to makelive a life without problems
I know that you probably meant something different, but if you want to talk about lives you cannot use the verb "make". The only one that can make a life is a god, or perhaps you can use it in a expression like: "you make my life miserable", but certainly I do not see a proper use of the verb in your sentence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally found your essay to be well-written and entertaining.Perhaps you can improve it a little by using more pronouns like they, it, etc; that way you'll repeat yourself less.

Home / Undergraduate / Discuss your reasons for pursuing the Major/Academic Program selected above?