UW Diversity Short Essay - My Alias

hyewon 1 / -  
My Alias

"I don't really know how to pronounce your name. I'll just call you Nikki". Thus at the age of five, my exposure to cultural differences began. As any official record shows, my real name is Hyewon No, purely derived from the Korean language meaning "first in wisdom". I am full Korean and naturally equipped with a Korean cultural background. While that sounds refined in my native country, it isn't much to boast about here in the States. An American country calls for an understanding of the American culture such as various traditions, holidays, and etiquette. Most often, first-generation immigrants have trouble grasping such vague concepts; however, I am one of the lucky few to have been welcomed into a culturally rich American home where I had the opportunity to experience the American culture first-hand.

My friend is Ciera Rose Catlin, an all-American girl with an all-American attitude. I met her in the cul-de-sac of my neighborhood where I introduced myself as Hyewon, and where Ciera introduced me to her family as Nikki. For the next eight years of my life, I would never correct her because during the time that I was Nikki, I was growing up in a boundless American culture.

Curiosity helped me quickly adapt to the American culture. I constantly observed every aspect of the Catlin family: conversations, entertainment, family, traditions, and social behavior. When I spent time with Ciera and her family, I would be Nikki: a girl that eats grilled cheese sandwiches, and watches American football and Scooby-Doo. When I spent time with my own family, I would be Hyewon: a girl that eats kimchi with rice, and watches Korean dramas. Even to this day, when I listen to discussions about politics from Ciera's grandpa, I hear from the "white, older-aged, conservative" republican side, but when I discuss politics with my own father, I hear from the "minority, working-class, liberal" democratic side.

As I continue to realize the importance of diversity in college, I consider the name Nikki as one of the most valuable gifts I have been presented with in my lifetime. Because of that identification, I have been able to view my life and surroundings in two separate cultural lenses. I am grateful to both my families who constantly shed new light on various topics of the world. My experience in each household helps me realize daily that it is possible to diversely interweave two, very different, cultures.
vzhao724 1 / 3  
Overall, this essay is pretty well thought out. There are some minor changes you can make in order to make the story flow better though:

"I don't really know how to pronounce your name. I'll just call you Nikki". This newfound name marked the beginning of my exposure to cultural differences at merely the age of five.

Also, your next sentence: As any official record shows, my real name is Hyewon No, purely derived from the Korean language meaning "first in wisdom". -- I find the part about "first in wisdom" a bit irrelevant and sidetracks from the purpose of your essay..possibly exclude it? You could say something like, As any official record shows, I am Hyewon No - a name derived purely from the Korean language.

The transition between the first and second paragraphs could be a little smoother:
however, I am one of the lucky few to have been welcomed into a culturally rich American home where I had the opportunity to experience the American culture first-hand.

This was made possible through my friendship with Ciera Rose Catlin , an all-American girl with an all-American attitude.

I am grateful to both my families who constantly shed new light on various topics of the world. Through my experiences in each household, I have come to realize that it is possible to interweave the two very different cultures into one.

I liked the comparison between your life at your own home and life at your friend's place.
Nicely done, I hope my tips were helpful!
Good luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / UW Diversity Short Essay - My Alias