Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Doctor Who and the life of a typical Asian' - Common App character in fiction

xbloodystarx 2 / 2  
My friend told me it was too much about the fictional character and that i should focus more on me, but i don't know how to. Please help!! I appreciate all the help i could get.

Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

Obedience tied me to the life of a typical Asian, confined by parental expectations to become a doctor or lawyer, to settle down with an Asian man my mom would choose for me, and to have kids. I did not want to follow the traditional path, I wanted to explore and expand my horizons, and build a career that I would enjoy so I fought back. I grew up as a shy kid who always played it safe and did what I was told. However, that all changed with the help of a peculiar Doctor.

This Doctor that I am speaking of is a fictional character from the show Doctor Who. He originates from an alien race called the Time Lords, who travel through time and space in machines called TARDIS. I chanced upon The Doctor, in the spring of my twelfth year, while clicking through television shows. The episode was called "Smith and Jones" and I watched, captivated, as the Doctor tried to save patients at a hospital that had been transported to the moon. As the episode progressed, I couldn't help but admire the Doctor as he used his wits and available resources to find and stop the criminal alien. But the most admirable thing about the Doctor was his lack of using any weapons or violence.

In addition to his unconventional heroism, he always had an eagerness to learn. For a man that is a thousand years old, he had the curiosity and excitement of a child whenever he discovered something new; which made me appreciate how important it was to learn things and be curious. Eventually, the more I watched the show, the more I began wanting a life like the Doctor. I want to explore the world, discover new things, and take on challenging adventures. Sadly, I don't have a time machine or the resources to satisfy my need, but what I do have is the curiosity to take on my next challenge; college.

When I look back at who I was as a child, I'm proud to see how much I've changed. Thanks to the Doctor, I'm no longer that shy child that I once was. He opened my eyes to the billions of possible opportunities I could have in life and I now know what I want from life; which I'm happy to say isn't the typical Asian life

Home / Undergraduate / 'Doctor Who and the life of a typical Asian' - Common App character in fiction