Dropped nursing to English program - Letter of Extenuating Circumstances

Noosh 1 / -  
Due to my old program being the way it is, my transcript ended up with a 0 on it and now I have to explain why I have that and why I think I would succeed in an English course for Library Research instead of nursing. Meant for strangers so pick it apart. Also, I don't have a conclusion and the site for the uni had this for the letter requirements: "This letter should explain in relative detail (no more than 500 words) how these circumstances contributed to your academic performance and how the situation has been resolved. You should also note that your academic record must contain evidence demonstrating your ability to succeed in university-level study."

Letter of Extenuating Circumstances August 11, 2010

Dear Sir/Madam

Within this letter I hope to/will explain/clarify (I didn't know between them which sounded better, sorry.) the extenuating circumstances contributed to my academic performance, and how the situation has been resolved.

Upon entering the Nursing program, it was evident that it was not suited for me. Even though I managed through my courses, but the applied clinical sessions were very unnerving. The clinical composed of going into a nursing home and demonstrating the techniques learned in class, such as changing disposable briefs, catheter cleaning and bathing. I found myself very uncomfortable in these situations (as many people would) since I had little practice, barely any supervision. I was given a fail, and since the clinical was only a pass/fail course, the grade was recorded as a zero, despite trying to overcome these discomforts. The zero grade is not reflective of my academic work or initiative. Furthermore, the grade of theory class was directly affected by the clinical portion, and even though I achieved a passing grade in the theory, I was still given a zero grade overall for the course.

After I had received the failing grade, I approached my professors and the head of the program and sought an appeal. I had taken this step because in the program the courses are linked in such a way that if you fail the clinical, you cannot move on without repeating basically the whole semester. Even though my appeal had been denied and I was unable to attend most of my second semester classes, I resolved the situation by continuing with the classes available to benefit me in another program. I also felt committed to continuing on because of the effort I had put forth and because I enjoy the class time. Before I had looked into the appeal, I took the time to thoroughly research into schools and careers and to talk to guidance councillors about programs that I would excel in. By taking this time I had gained a lot of insight into what I would truly enjoy, and found that throughout the nursing program I did my best when I was reading, writing and researching.

I have been talking with other people about this and some say to leave out the appeal and other say it looks good that I took initiative. A confusing part about the instructions is to say how it's resolved and I threw it in there, thinking that's what it would be, but I'm still unsure. I also called the Uni to clarify the letter and I have to convince them why I would do well in the program and why I should go the their school. I'm unsure of how to feel about this as all other letters I've read are about loss of a family member, moving, financial hardship and divorce. Thank you for your time!
lowryder49 7 / 31  

Dear Sir/Madam

Within this letter I hope to/will explain/ clarify the extenuating circumstances contributed to my academic performance, and how the situation has been resolved.

I would include in the next paragraph some examples or recommendations of teachers who believe that researching is your future and why and finally in your conclusion you could just round up that this is your tru call.

Good luck
Lorena
Within this letter I will explain the extenuating circumstances that contributed to my academic performance and how the situation has been resolved.
Upon entering the Nursing program, it was evident that it was not suited for me. I was not suited for it.

Even though I managed through my courses, but the applied clinical sessions were very unnerving.

I found myself very uncomfortable in these situations (as many people would) since I had little practice and barely any supervision. ...--- nevermind many people. No making excuses! It is okay that you determined what was not right for you. Now you are ready to dive into your English program.

...took the time to thoroughly research into schools and careers and to talk to guidance councilors about programs in which I would excel. By taking this time I had gained...

You say you did your best when you are reading, writing, and researching. That seems just about perfect. I think the best thing to do is add more about your vision for the future and what you actually want to be doing from 9 to 5 when you enter your profession. Give us a glimpse of the future for you. That proves you have a plan.

Home / Undergraduate / Dropped nursing to English program - Letter of Extenuating Circumstances