Eastman School of Music Personal Statement

emilyloowho 1 / -  
I have enjoyed singing and performing for as long as I can remember. However, it was not until recently that I realized I wanted to make music, and more specifically opera, my career.

Before realizing how much music would eventually mean to me, I had taken voice lessons, been in several plays and competed in several competitions. At the time, I did not take "voice" very seriously. I was more determined to be a pediatrician or some other academic profession. In my sophomore year of high school, I was finally old enough to compete in the MTNA senior competition for voice. It was far more challenging than any competition I had competed in before, but with hard work and determination, I won the regional level of competition and then moved on to the national level. Before going to nationals, I performed a benefit recital in order to raise money for the trip. The experience of the recital made me realize that I wanted to make singing my career. It gave me my first taste performing as a solo artist. It was beyond thrilling. For the first time, I felt that I had the ability to make opera my career, and decided then that I would work, learn, and improve as much as possible to get there. I finally had an answer for the question, "What do you want to do when you grow up?" The answer was: To sing opera professionally.

Living in a small town, it is easy to feel isolated. As far as musical influence goes, Missoula Montana (my hometown), does not receive as much attention and consideration as some big music hubs such as Seattle and New York City. I want to experience as much musical diversity and influence as possible, something I cannot receive living here. However, though Missoula is small, I was fortunate to have met and be taught by incredible instructors, who provided me support and helped me learn as much as possible before moving on to adult life, I believe having an excellent teacher is the most important factor of a musical education, something I believe the Eastman School of Music can provide.

Ultimately, performing and singing gives me joy, it gives my life purpose and direction. Last year, I performed in my first opera, Amahl and the Night Visitors performing the role of Amahl From this experience, I learned how to prepare for an opera role, work with a conductor, learn music within a limited amount of time, and to perform. I learned so much from this experience because so many factors go in to creating an opera. It is not simple, the journey to the performance is rough, but in the end, it is a rewarding experience. I loved all of it: the music, the rehearsals, the performances, and the relationships I shared with my cast mates. Likewise, I believe the Eastman School of Music can provide exceptional opportunities for instruction and performance, which in turn will help me prepare for the future, and to become the best that I can be..

Singing and performing are my passions, and I believe that I have what it takes to make these passions my career. I am a hard worker, dedicated, motivated, and willing to sacrifice to accomplish my goals. The Eastman School of Music can give me the best musical education I can receive, prepare me for the future, and help to better myself as a musician.
However, it was not until recently that I realized I wanted to make music -- and, more specifically, opera -- my career. ---->That is a good way to use dashes to help manage a difficult sentence.

Excellent. As a musician, you must have other interests besides opera. This makes me wonder if you are interested in any instruments or any other kind of vocal performance... do you have other interests? I wonder if you might take on another specialty at this school, as well, such as recording art. That is not really about your essay, but I wanted to suggest learning about modern technology for recording. I wish I learned that a long time ago!

No comma necessary here: ...Missoula Montana (my hometown) does not receive as much attention and consideration as some big music hubs such as Seattle and New York City.

You write very well! Here is another place a dash can help: I am a hard worker -- dedicated, motivated, and willing to sacrifice to accomplish my goals.

Home / Undergraduate / Eastman School of Music Personal Statement