Education a distant dream. Common app essay for University admission

Shiva123 1 / 1 1  

Education a distant dream

(Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?)(250-650)

"Early morning hurrying down to school, scared of being getting late ,afraid that bunking class could make things worse....hustle-bustle all around .I heard the bubbly voice"Wait brother !I am too coming to school with you.This could have shocked anyone in my village seven months ago,But now is a common sight.The district and the village from where I come is not an ordinary village.A true sign of a desire to move ahead is everywhere,with India growing becoming an economic giant,my village boasts of all the basic amenities but lacked in one aspect i.e" Education Rights for women " .India! where women who constitute half of the population are still subjected to various social evils". I believe the weapon of education allows women to exterminate the gender bias, deprivation, denial of chances, politics that undermines them and society who clips their wings.

The scenario of my village still projects the picture of an old India where education for girls was a dream.I remember seven months back the incident which moved me and shattered my soul .Girls of my village even my own sister had no right or opportunity to go to school .Everywhere I saw them engaged in one or the other household chore ,hiding from the crowd peeping through half wrapped heads,undeclared boundations.

Initially I felt restless and puzzled at why this discrimination but then I also felt blessed that at least I,am getting education.But something in me was picking me ,not allowing me to accept the injustice done.I decided and made it my resolution that I am going to bring a change.Though it was an uphill task -my firm determination and urge for the change was so adamant that I thought of a plan.

I asked the elders 'Why aren't they Educated' they all had a common answer ,"girls are expected to contribute to the household" - the implicit understanding being that a girl is being trained for the role of a wife, mother and daughter-in-law, whereas boys are being trained for an occupation as they have to take care of family .

It was the opinion of certain male elders hence, I thought they might be biased towards ladies but I was mum when I heard same thing from the elderly women. Then too I didn't quit rather and started meeting and encouraging all those girls who either were not sent to school or dropped out after primary education .During this came forward some harsh realities:

Meenu didn't tell her parents when school boys started harassing her on the hour-long walk to school from her home - Meenu dropped out because of this continues harassment lashed out at her.

Deepti's mother wants her to be a doctor but insufficient school facilities and high fees deter her dream.

Suman 35, is battling for her child's future.She is domestic help she never went to school but wants her daughter not to follow her footsteps , wonders if she could teach her at home.

The list was endless, but I was persistent with support of my grandfather,we went to the authority and asked for their help initially they agreed but the result was unsatisfactory .During all this eventful time the villagers were moved somewhat and came forward to help us.I was exalted .A beam of happiness spread.The result was a basic school set up.

It was not an ordinary school like any other school as it didn't has a roof or boundary. No teacher only few retired elders. No age limit for student, no curriculum, timetable or anything which could make it look like a school. But the motive was crystal clear "Education for All especially for girls".

Through some Financial aid and persistent efforts we were able to come up with a formal school though not recognised by any Govt. agency but still was serving the purpose. Now it has a building and some volunteers to serve as teachers.

Now Our school has become a Community School, which is particularly for girls from poor and uneducated families. It also promotes social awareness like discouraging child marriage and gives ladies vocational education

Now meenu is enjoying her study and her family has dropped the plan of her marriage. Deepti is in third standard and her mother is also attending vocational training classes. Finally suman's dream of better education for her child has come true .

Though my dream is still unfulfilled as this is just a step of the ladder which I have to climb to bring same major changes.I am confident enough to do so in future also.
Shiva, don't make the essay run too long by presenting so many examples of women who were forced to drop out of school because of the social belief and traditions of your culture. It is great that you managed to properly narrate the basis of your discussion and also, show how you enacted solutions to this belief and idea that you decided to challenge. The problem, is that you focused so much space on convincing the reviewer about your cause through examples that you neglected to respond to the final question in the prompt requirement. If you faced the same challenge in another situation, would you still respond to the challenge in the same manner? That point of the prompt is critical to the response because it shows your ability to either be steadfast in your decision or be shaky because the solution that you provided was hard to deliver and is even more difficult to maintain. In the interest of keeping the essay interesting, edit the evidence of women who did not go to school by deleting that portion. Dedicate the space to discussing the more relevant, "Will you make the same decision in the future?" discussion instead.
OP Shiva123 1 / 1 1  
thanks holt for giving such a wonderful decision.

Home / Undergraduate / Education a distant dream. Common app essay for University admission