EDUCATION, a light to one's path; HOWARD U- Strengths/ weaknesses/motivation

theword18 2 / -  
What are your strengths, weaknesses, and your motivation? What separates you from any other applicant? How do you think Howard University will increase your strengths and diminish your weaknesses"?

My name is Derek Ukaegbu, from Overlea high school. Although I'm formidable in a wide variety of areas, every human has their flaws. My motivation is any mentor of education because I conceive education as a light to your path. My strengths as a student are Self-sufficiency, teamwork, but my weakness is overcomittment.

What separates me from other applicants are my strengths, my ability to excel far beyond other students. Howard University will increase my strengths by challenging and molding me for a better future and it will decrease my weaknesses by prioritizing and asserting myself in the community with leadership. In summer 2013 I enrolled into medical mission trip to S. America. This is a way of giving back to the community.

Self-sufficiency is the ability to take care of myself, meaning when given a non-teamwork assignment I can do it on my own and efficiently. I have this trait because I am a keen learner, task focused, and punctual in my work. This means that I comprehend quicker than others, I am disciplined, don't evade my work, and the work that I do is precise and complete. I can be Independent because I can manage my time, and I have excellent analytical skills. This means I can multitask and handle any stress; I can reduce time to increase efficiently, and excel in interpreting information.

Teamwork is the act of combined effort with a leader, meaning when I am presented a project meant for collaborative effort not only can I work well with classmates I can be the conductor of them. I carry this feature because I am dependable, a negotiator, but assertive. This means teammates can have faith in me when I take many responsibilities as a leader, I can negotiate with teammates on how the project will be executed, and although I can negotiate, I am not a "pushover" when I see something wrong I will point it out and fix it. I possess this quality because I am an optimist, and honest. This means I can motivate people to do what they usually don't do, I can tell someone they are astray while being fair, and respectful, and as a leader I can stay on task without being amiss.

Overcomittment is to strain yourself beyond the limit of completion, meaning that I'm a 'workaholic", and I may take excessive responsibilities at times. My weakness are being a perfectionist, and emotional. This means that when finishing an assignment I'm quality conscientious meaning I keep thinking it isn't good enough. Also when I'm doing a project I take it to heart when someone isn't as dedicated as I'm and I become angry at them. Although overcomittment is my weakness I consider it my strength because I'll sharpen myself for next time.

In conclusion, my strengths as a student are self-sufficiency, the ability to take care of myself, and teamwork the act of a combining effort with the help of a leader, while my weakness is overcomittment, to strain myself unnecessarily.
rejinregine 2 / 5 1  
My motivation is any mentor of education because I conceive education as a light to myyour path.

There are lots of "this means" in the essay. I think it will be better if you can give the real-life examples of your stated personalities rather than just stating them?

I wish you luck on your college application! :)
Although I'm formidable in a wide variety of areas, every human has their flaws.

Well.... I am not really favor in "formidable" for this sentence, it goes more with "power" than "intelligence". I prefer a word like "competent", "talented" ...etc. :D

My motivation is any mentor of education because I conceive education as a light to your path.

Also, I dont find a strong link between this line and your answer. For me, this sounds a bit irrelevant. You are talking about your strengths and weaknesses. So you need to come to that point without diverting to other areas. I feel you better leave this line out.

My strengths as a student are Self-sufficiency, teamwork, but my weakness is overcomittment.

Self-sufficiency is not the most appropriate word. If you are self sufficient, then you make grow your own food, make your own cloths etc. etc. I think the most appropriate word for your idea is your "independent character". This means you can handle things on your own without depending on others for help.

Home / Undergraduate / EDUCATION, a light to one's path; HOWARD U- Strengths/ weaknesses/motivation