'Engineering, My Passion' - CORNELL ENGINEERING

Sands872971 1 / -  
Engineering Is My Passion

Growing up I wanted to be just like Violet Baudelaire. She was my favorite character from the beloved Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Violet had the unique ability to use scraps of material and manipulate them to suit her needs. She saw objects not for what they were but for what they could be. I admired Violet's ability to invent and problem-solve the way many admire the powers of their childhood superheroes. In elementary school, inspired by my hero, I spent my recesses looking for things to build and create. My most successful invention was a kick ball-retrieving device; put together from milk crates and jump ropes it effectively rescued countless lost balls from the unreachable depths of the playground.

As I grew older my admiration for Violet evolved into a love for math and science. Entering high school, I seized every opportunity to follow my passion. I participated in numerous Science Olympiads and competitions, often taking on the role of the bridge, tower, or car designer. These projects did not seem like work but rather hobbies, things I did because I loved to do them. In the classroom, I gained further insight into the technical aspects of chemistry, physics and calculus, which only deepened my fascination with the subjects.

Now I see math as an elegant way of simplifying complexities - making them conquerable. Math's unique ability to distill radical notions into a few simple lines captivates me. Science, on the other hand, complements math in its basic culmination of the defined knowledge of society. In my mind, the preeminent way in which the two fields are united in application is engineering.

As an aspiring engineer I realized the world spans beyond the reaches of my own existence. I feel that an engineer is not only aware of the bigger problems that need to be resolved but is truly concerned and feels compelled to do something about them.

The school of engineering at Cornell University is instrumental in my quest to make a difference. I have always been aware of the school's strong reputation however only when I visited it in person I realized Cornell is the ideal place for me. The rewarding learning environment and supportive community I encountered there left a strong impression on me.

As a mechanical engineering major, I would like to take an advantage of the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and minor in Aerospace Engineering. Designing machines that explore the infinite reaches of the universe has been my dream ever since I was a child.

The hands on training that the engineering program at Cornell University offers is a vital part of my preparation to succeed in the field. I would like to participate in the various research programs the school offers. The prospect of carrying out research alongside experts in their field is an ideal means to reach my dream of becoming an engineer.
thrill4rishabh 1 / 4  
The first paragraph is too long. It could easily be split into two.

Tell something about Unfortunate Events. Is it a romance, tragedy, horror, etc. Give a brief info about the character. If the adcom is unfamiliar with it, he would be lost.

I think you don't really answer the prompt. Try to go for the ideas part. I shows that you are creative.

Try to tie the end back to Violet Baudelaire.
soufianelaouad 3 / 29  
Amazing Work ! I am a high school student who wants to pursue Electrical or mechanical engineering at Purdue Next year.
Please look at the Last essay I just posted its about engineering and my future
thank you

Home / Undergraduate / 'Engineering, My Passion' - CORNELL ENGINEERING