English and Political Economy- interest in study, Georgetown University essay

hkamboj 2 / 3  
This is my first draft, so you may find a lot of problems. Any and all constructive criticism is appreciated! Thank you so much!

PROMPT: Relate your interest in studying at Georgetown University to your goals. How to these thoughts relate to your chosen course of study?

Goosebumps intruded into every inch of skin on my arms as I sat in ICC 108, listening to a lecture about the Trilemma. I smiled without thinking, and a rush of intellect ran over me as pieces began to fit seamlessly into the puzzle of international finance. Rushing to catch every significant word, I realized I only ever experienced this sensation twice in my life; once during this course in International Relations, and again whenever my restless fingers tapped away at a keyboard, molding morphemes and phonemes in stories to be shared with my world.

I like to think writing was an in-born passion of mine. It's a difficult statement to argue against when you consider I first began my journalistic career at the tender age of eight, founding and producing my elementary school's weekly newspaper. From there, the text never stopped. I am currently the feature editor for my high school's newspaper, I regularly submit work to a national teen magazine, and I run my own blog onto which I post short fiction and poetry.

After spending the summer of 2011 learning about foreign affairs on the Georgetown University campus, I knew I couldn't abandon the information I'd learned. I thirsted for more, and that was the moment when my desire to major in only English turned into a need to double major in English and Political Economy.

I beam at the thought of having the opportunity to study these majors at Georgetown University because no other institution in the United States can rival what Georgetown has to offer. With Capitol Hill and the White House seated at the university's doorstep, I would have the opportunity to experience and take part in the processes of domestic and foreign policy. As a political science student, I would have the opportunity to attend lectures led by prominent figures including Madeleine Albright and Jose Maria Aznar, using their experiences to fuel the future political scene in D.C. Political Economy majors also take advantage of D.C.'s business district where numerous investment banks and foreign corporations station their head offices.

With my focus on print journalism, I would be able to make the best of the university's numerous publications as outlets for my work. Having had experience on a newspaper staff, I could easily see myself working vigorously in the newsroom at The Hoya. I could spend hours scheduling interviews and typing article after article concerning the happenings of the school and the city surrounding it. In my wildest dreams, I can imagine myself standing as editor-in-chief, watching over the newsroom in the same place Joseph R. Mickler (the newspaper's first editor-in-chief) stood when the entire operation began in 1920. My creative tendencies would also need satisfying, but no worry. I could submit work to The Georgetown College Journal, the university's literary magazine and the oldest publication on campus. The English department's undergraduate journalism program would provide me endless internship opportunities at organizations including The Voice of America and the Washington Post.

Walter Wellesley Smith once said, "There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." I hope to have the opportunity to attend Georgetown University, so that when I write, I may open my vein and feel the pulse of economic policy-making throbbing.
otacbateman 2 / 7  
Wow! the imagery in the intorduction is beautiful, but i think that it shouldnt be goosebumps intruded into, but goosebumps intruded in... also, this might only be the way is copyed but is it only three paragraphs? essays are usually 4 or 5, besides that i think its great! good luck with georgetown!
OP hkamboj 2 / 3  
Thanks for the feedback! It's actually six paragraphs, it seems like three because of the way it was copied.

Home / Undergraduate / English and Political Economy- interest in study, Georgetown University essay