'my English teacher' - Texas A&M - who has made an impact on your life

chris9 2 / 1  
We encounter many teachers everyday in our years of schooling. Our encounters with them gradually become ordinary and insignificant as we progress in our careers. However, I believe that our teachers deserve admiration and gratitude for what they have done in influencing us as students. Even though we may dislike what they do or the grades they give us, they still take out years of their lives preparing their lesson plans, assessing our assignments and answering our questions.

There were many such great teachers who have made an impact on my life. One such special teacher I had in my life was Mrs. Maureen Xavier, who was my English teacher when I was in my 8th, 9th and 10th classes in my schooling; she was the one who changed me from the person I was before. At first, I was very mild and timid; a more of a shy kind of person. I never dared to talk in public as it made me very nervous that it resulted in improper communication with many grammatical errors and misspelled words. Apart from speaking, my written work was very much appreciated by her and by few other teachers as well. She used to give an essay topic everyday as an assignment which most of the students found it more taxing as there wasn't sufficient time to complete all the other assignments. She once asked me to read my essay aloud to the class, I was thunderstruck and completely paralyzed due to the nervousness but somewhere deep in my mind I was determined to cast off the stage fear grown inside me. I failed in doing so, which left me embarrassed and dejected. She then asked me to pay her a visit after school, and explained how important speaking was, she even advised me how to get rid of that fear, which she was once a victim herself and told how she overcame it. This little advise motivated me and from the very next day, I started to practice her techniques like imagining no one in the room other than myself while talking to a large group, using less complicated sentences while talking so that the listener understands and imitating native English speakers from movies and international news channels etc.

My efforts yielded me great results. I remember the first speech I have given on the independence day of India about "the cultural heritage of India". It was a great challenge to me as I had to speak to an audience of about 2000 rather than a mere 60. I successfully pulled it off without much difficulty and was applauded and appreciated by many teachers and friends, which was very encouraging. Since then, I began to participate in various debates group discussions, seminars and fared well. Today I'm glad that I have had such a wonderful teacher who made an impact on my life.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME HELP HERE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
hjkulik12 1 / 2  
Sounds great! I had an essay topic like this for Temple University and I was accepted and I think yours is better then mine. The biggest thing is to make sure everything is spelled right and the grammar is correct. I'm not good at either of those so my advice is to take it to a English teacher and have them check it. Good Luck!
Saintlarrys 1 / 3  
Nice work . . Could have been better with a catchy hook as the intro. Work on that. keep it simple though!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'my English teacher' - Texas A&M - who has made an impact on your life