"My experience as peer coach" - UC Prompt #2

chant550 1 / -  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

I have often felt selfish and concerned mostly with myself, many times with little regard of helping others. However I wanted to change this about myself, so I joined Peer Resources in my sophomore year, specifically their peer mentor program. The peer mentor program is a program that assigns a mentor, essentially an upperclassman; to a group of incoming freshmen who then meets up during the first semester and helps them out with problems or answer any questions. Oddly enough I had no prior experience as a peer mentor, yet still decided to apply as a peer coach, whose role, in addition to being a mentor, is to oversee the mentors assigned to the freshmen. Unsure about my current decision, I felt nervous and unconfident. Fortunately I soon overcame this, as I started attending the Peer Resources after school classes, in which I was able to learn not only the skills required to efficiently help out incoming freshmen but skills that helped better myself. During the classes I participated in various fun games and activities, ranging from challenging group games to simple two partner discussions. As result I learned skills on how to better communicate, cooperate, listen and understand others, essential skills as a mentor and a person.

Eventually my skills as a coach would be tested; first by being required to teach my skills to a group of mentors, then applying this knowledge during freshmen orientation and the following semester. Once again I was nervous, but felt that I could perform the task. Eventually the day came me and another coach was assigned a group of mentors to teach. Confidently I presented myself, and shortly after began several games that would teach the essential skills. After each game I briefed them on how it related back to mentoring. By the time freshmen orientation came I felt sure in myself and the ability to apply the skills I had learned. During the orientation each mentor was assigned a group of freshmen they would help out. Similarly I received my very own group, and ready to help I came across a slight problem. When I asked for questions, I was met with a dead silence. Instead I started some friendly conversation and we began discussing a bit about the school, regardless if I provided help or not, I would just do the best I could. Eventually throughout the semester I could answer most of their questions confidently.

My experience as a peer coach and mentor has been an overall pleasant one. I have been a peer coach from sophomore year to my senior year. Coming to high school I felt shy and awkward, however joining peer resources was my first steps at changing. As of now I feel a greater confidence in myself and am able to put myself out their and try my best. Similarly I felt I was tad selfish, but now understand the importance of working with others.
You should say some more at the end of your essay concerning your feelings of selfishness, which you say sent you on this path in the first place. Your essay should end with you reflecting back to the topic of your opening.

... to a group of incoming freshmen who then meetsup during the first semester and helps them out with problems and answer any questions.

Oddly enough I had no prior experience as a peer mentor,...

During the classes, I participated...

As a result, I learned skills on how to better communicate, cooperate, listen and understand others; essential skills as a mentor and a person.

Eventually the day came that another coach and I, were assigned a group of mentors to teach.

...however joining peer resources was my first step toward changing.

As of n Now I feel a greater confidence in myself and am able to put myself out there and try my best.

Home / Undergraduate / "My experience as peer coach" - UC Prompt #2