Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Family, qualities - UCF Admissions Essay: #2 + #4

jumpydrummer 1 / -  
2. How has your family history, culture or environment influenced who you are?

For Centuries, America has been considered a "Melting Pot" of different cultures from around the world. My family history reflects that melting pot and has influenced me in many ways. My father is from Kentucky and grew up in a family of 12 children. My mother is from a New York Jewish background. I have learned different things from each side of my family. You can't be shy or hide your feelings around the Richeson family. Their boisterousness has taught me to break out of my shell and become the sociable person am today. The way they support me in everything I do has taught me to be supportive of other people. Because they believe in me my self confidence has blossomed. Though college was never an option for them they encourage me and my cousins to take advantage of the opportunity that they missed. My father has passed down his family's work ethic and has taught me that I can achieve anything if I work and study with all my heart. My mother's small Jewish family has taught me to enjoy other cultures and be open minded. Because she is from New York, she has been able to introduce me to things such as classical music, fine art, and theatre which I have come to appreciate and seek out whenever possible. Since she plays several musical instruments, she has made sure that I have had a very thorough musical education and I have taken piano, voice and drum lessons throughout my life.

4. What qualities or unique characteristics do you possess that would allow you to contribute to the UCF community?

When I was in elementary school, my school guidance counselor asked students to volunteer in a Peer Mediation program and I immediately signed up. Since the young age of 7 I have had the desire to help others. If there are conflicts among my peers I make sure to see both sides of the issues. I am my happiest when I'm helping people get along with one another. I tend to be nurturing and caring. Some of my friends even call me "Mom"! When those around me are being treated unfairly and do not speak up for themselves, I make sure their voice is heard. These characteristics will help me pursue a career in education or psychology. I plan on becoming involved in organizations and participating in activities that will accentuate these qualities. While I am learning I will be helping others around me and contributing to the UCF community.

Home / Undergraduate / Family, qualities - UCF Admissions Essay: #2 + #4