"Fashion is who I am" - Fashion Institute of Technology Admissions Essay

nadiacheray 1 / -  
Prompt:
What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT?
Why are you interested in the major you are applying to?

(PLEASE BE AS CONSTRUCTIVE AS POSSIBLE PLEASE)

Fashion is who I am. It was always a way for me to express myself. Cutting and hot gluing my own clothes to make new ones for my dolls. Then switching over to my toy sewing machine, fashion was with me from the beginning. I believe I got my creativity from the most creative person I know, my mom. She'd DIY Halloween costumes for me, set up scavenger hunts for Christmas, and always have activities for us to do together. For a while, life was perfect until I began to realize all the girls around me had something I didn't. I began to ask my mother about my father, and being the woman she is she made a way for me to meet him. Before I knew it, I went from the first meeting to living with him in middle school. I had gotten a whole new family and a new way of living. At the time, I didn't realize it but I felt that I had to let go of who I once was. To adapt to my new surroundings, I left the things I loved, and left my old girly personality behind. Fashion did not exist to me anymore. I started to dress more boyish. I traded cute skirts and crop tops for hoodies with sneaker brand logos. I even started to listen to different music making a switch from bubbly pop to aggressive rap. I slowly began to realize I was not being my true self.

Then COVID hit and things began to change. I was back living with my mom, I was in the house all the time and there was nothing to do. To pass time I started to play SIMS 4. My favorite part of the game was downloading custom content online and dressing the sims I made. Through this, I slowly found my way back into Fashion. I started to look into how to start a career in styling. I searched for schools and FIT spoke to me. So I decided, that FIT was the school for me.

Switching from virtual school to in-person, I was at a new school so I had to make new friends and I joined clubs that interested me. In my 10th grade year, I emersed myself in theater as apart of the tech crew, joined SGA as secretary, and I also joined Yearbook. Through theater, I learned the work that goes into stage costumes and makeup. Through SGA, I learned how to plan and take leadership roles in our class meetings. Through Yearbook, I became interested in journalism and this prompted me to use the money I'd get for Christmas and birthdays to subscribe to Vogue and Vanity Fair. It was not until 11th grade, that I was able to actually work on the yearbook and pitch designs. Yearbook taught me how to work with others in a creative space, which was something that I was experiencing for the first time. As I got increasingly interested in magazines, I also became more interested in runway shows.

I began to take modeling classes with my mother's support. At the end of the semester, I was chosen by a designer to walk in their show. Backstage as I watched how things moved backstage I realized that I rather be the person who orchestrates and plans the show. Through these experiences, I decided to major in Fashion Business Management. In the summer I decided to take a pre-college program in Fashion Forecasting at FIT and all thoughts I had on my interest in fashion before were confirmed. For the 4 days, I built friendships with people who were interested in the same things as I was for the first time. At FIT, there was no need for me to pretend. I was 100% me and that is why I chose FIT.

I am the perfect candidate for FIT because of my creativity. Creativity surpasses just being used when creating art. It shows when you find ways to step away from conventional thoughts and explore new methods and ideas. It is reflected in how you solve problems and move through life. At FIT, I hope to develop my view of creativity and show it in the future through my works.
searched for schools and FIT spoke to me

Please expound on this part. How did FIT speak to you? Was it the objective of the school? The program offerings? The student community? Surely you can be more specific than just that reference point.

Your explanations seem to be relevant to the questions provided so I do not see any need to change the content. Maybe, you should consider adding to the content instead? The part when you moved in with your father and you changed your dress style, what prompted that? Was changing your fashion in response to something? Perhaps your relationship with your dad? it appears that there is more to explore in that paragraph. It was left less developed than the others.
sankook 4 / 8 2  
plan

Hi, you did good but for me, it seems like you are not answering the questions properly the FIT wants to know how perfect you are for the program what made you stand out among others, and also why you are into fashion. these are the questions, right? you did answer them but I think it is too general kind just add some specific things that you have like yeah everyone has creativity and everyone thinks themselves they are best fit for the program but try to show them with actions like I have this skill and I got this skill by doing this. For example, I have a creativity skill and I did work/internship/at a small boutique etc I gained this experience and it made me into this, etc. and showed them that I like fashion because of my passion your love to fashion, etc. even though you have your reason but try to add something which shows YOU. and for me, it seems like the first paragraph is bit talk about unnecessary things as I change from this music to this etc. you can talk to about it but make it small and instead talk more about your experience in the fashion industry and what you learn this will show the committee that yeah you are serious about the program.

If I sound rude or tough I apologize but this is just my opinion yeah. You wrote a good essay but need just some more information about your experience and so on.

All the best for your application.

Home / Undergraduate / "Fashion is who I am" - Fashion Institute of Technology Admissions Essay