The Field of Computing - about your interest in NYU...

dibyaaaaax 1 / 1  

they are my mentors

While one is small, tight knit and just fit for me, the next one is bigger yet comfortable, warm and welcoming. No, not sweaters-- they are my mentors.

It all started one morning: I was so excited that I reached my school thirty minutes earlier than I was supposed to. My counselor had called me to fill up a form to register for NYUAD information session. Although, at that time, I had no dream whatsoever to attend a university outside my country, being asked along with some of the best students of the school intrigued me. So I attended the program and in less than an hour, the representative of the University changed my perception; I was looking at my academic dreams in a totally different way, in a completely new environment.

If, within an hour, NYU made me rethink the biggest decision of life, I can't even imagine all the different ways it will help me become a better person in four long years. In NYU, I will not only learn from the school, but also from the interaction with the diverse community that the University wholeheartedly welcomes; I consider sharpening such interactional skills as one the primary purposes of my university life-for that will be an important aspect of the career I've dreamt of.

Talking about my dream, ever since I wrote my first program, I have aspired to achieve something in the field of computing. My aim became much more profound in an award ceremony when a girl approached me and thanked me for breaking the prejudice; she was proud to see a girl win an award for computer science. Although I politely thanked her, deep down I knew I had a long way to go before I become worthy of that compliment. My dream, ever since, has been to help as many young girls (and underprivileged boys) as possible discover the beauty of coding, hence breaking the prejudice. I believe Tandon School is the best place to prepare myself to achieve this goal, for it will not only help me gain appropriate knowledge on the subject-- but also, through different initiatives like Women in Engineering and Black Girls CODE, provide me with first class experience on ways to approach my goal.

For me, size won't matter, neither will location, for all I want is a good experience-- and wherever I go, NYU will have that for me.
bethanysheshu 1 / 2  
@dibyaaaaax

I think you truly explained your interest in NYU in depth. I really admire the last paragraph where you explained why you also want to be in the program they offer and your further description of the fantasy you have of yourself and what you saw yourself doing was a nice touch.

I think you should emphasize more on why you want really to go to NYU in specific; briefly, explain more on what the representative said that really changed your mind and caught your attention.

Other than that, well done!
Dibya, your essay needs to be specific about the interest that you developed for NYU. This interest needs to be based upon the campus that you will be attending. Will you be attending the main campus in New York City, USA or the campus in Abu Dhabi? Once you have decided upon which campus you will be attending, you will then have to think about the campus, the classes it offers, and the kind of educational opportunity that you will be receiving. This essay is not effective in the sense that it does not show a familiarity on your part, with the university. There is no direct connection between the capacity of the university to educate you and your desire to attend the same. It would be best if you wrote a new essay that has a more focused direction. It has to speak of the particular campus and why you feel that you will be able to thrive in that setting. Balance your traits as a student with the way that you hope or believe that the university can enhance your learning experience. The reason behind your interest in NYU needs to be definitive of the NYU experience you hope to have. This current essay does not contain any of that. It is so generalized in content that you can use it to fulfill any university application with the same question. Be specific. NYU is looking only for the best and the brightest who can also add to the diversity and learning experience of their campus, no matter where it is located in the world. Aim to represent such a mindset in this essay.

Home / Undergraduate / The Field of Computing - about your interest in NYU...