Fine Arts for UT/ Personal interaction with objects essay/ A powerful painting

lizzard 2 / 7  
I am trying to get into UT's Fine Art department.

This is what I have, but I am working on the last sentence/conclusion. Please feel free to give me any advice or corrections. Thanks!

Growing up, creating stories from my imagination was my preferred entertainment. There was something about drawing the action from my mind onto the paper that intrigued me. I could channel my imagination through my crayons and create vivid and lively pictures that I could build from. At an age where I was too young to write such elaborate stories, I created them visually. No words - only drawings.

I entered Austin Community College three years ago with art as my chosen path. I began to be doubtful as many people would ask, "Art? What are you going to do with that degree?" I hadn't thought about it because there are so many different things you can do with it. Eventually, my mind began to wander, and I decided to try a different road with art in mind. Going into the middle of my second year at school, I decided to try out the Visual Communications Department for graphic design, and soon found that it was not for me. I wanted more hands-on interaction with the art. I wanted to sculpt. I wanted to draw. I wanted to get my hands dirty, but I was now a little worried at what job I could hold upon leaving college. I constantly struggled in my mind about what kind of degree I should pursue and if I should even keep on going with my aspirations of an art degree.

This state of mind would change rapidly during the summer of 2009 when I travelled to Paris, France. I had been exploring the city until the last day came when I realized I had not made time to visit the Louvre. After hours of walking around the immensely beautiful museum, I came across a painting that jolted me to immediate attention. A French neoclassical painting by Hippoltye-Jean Flandrin called Nude Youth Sitting by the Sea took me surprise and left me in amazement. The circular figure's bowed face was shadowed and increasingly drew me in. I could not help but to marvel at this sensual, yet reserved man. The pieced conjured many thoughts as I asked myself, "What was he thinking? Why was he so isolated?" I enjoyed the mystery and beauty of this painting so much. Then, I thought - "That's it! This is what I want to do!" As an admirer the human form, seeing this delicate and rather intimate painting moved me back to where I needed to be. The power that a piece can hold and the thoughts and feelings it can stir within a person is one of the most exciting aspects to being in the presence and a part of art. I had come to sudden realization that my passion for art hadn't left me at all. It was still there and it was stronger than ever. I wanted to create right then and there.

Immediately after returning home from France, I enrolled into an art history course and took it from there. I began to explore how to model figures in ceramics. I began to study the human form more in depth with the aid of books and a life drawing course. I could now see why my professors were so animated and passionate about their work which has inspired me to look into teaching art. With integrity and love for what you do, the job possibilities are endless and I no longer worry about what will happen once I graduate. Experiencing that moment at the Louvre opened up a door in the world I knew I belonged to but just hadn't seen yet.

Since then, I have taken more art courses as well as recently enrolling in a monotyping class at the Austin Museum of Art this spring to further pursue a new interest I have developed in printmaking. Although I have only worked with a few different art mediums, I have found pleasure in each one of them. I see the University of Texas as the place I want to be to grow and explore my full potential. Whether it be in a museum or in a classroom I hope to one day be able to evoke the same powerful feeling I received that day.
sabLeya 3 / 14  
I have also recently enrolled in a mono-typing class at the Art School at Laguna Gloria to further pursue my interest in printmaking later on this spring.
mintchoco 4 / 11  
i think you did a good job here. i can feel your passion in this essay, yet i think maybe making a stronger connection between your struggles, changes and your final decision would be better. :)
OP lizzard 2 / 7  
Thank you both very much for your comments. I deeply appreciate all the help and advice I can get :)
readvee 1 / 1  
Great essay! I'm also applying to UT (RTF or General), so I wish you luck :D.
Perhaps you could mention why UT's department is necessary in order to pursue your passion. Why at this school and in that major will have the resources to flourish against the current status quo of ACC courses? Maybe if you connect the dots between your passionate energy and a vision at UT it will be made stronger.
Growing up, creating stories from my imagination instead of playing with dolls was my preferred entertainment.---I crossed out part of this, because the sentence was made awkward by it. Also, playing with dolls IS a way to create stories with imagination.

This is a powerful little sentence: No words - only drawings.---very good ending to the first paragraph!

What a great essay... this really keeps the reader interested and shows, without any doubt, your thoughtful plan for the future. You seem to have put more thought into planning your future than most people do! :-)
OP lizzard 2 / 7  
Thanks, Suan! I didn't even realize that until you pointed it out. I am so glad that you did though, because yes, dolls and toys definitely are ways to create stories with imagination :) Again, thank you so much! =)
tbvjaos555 7 / 11  
I'm also applying to UT (RTF or General), so I wish you luck :D.
melissajoy 4 / 13  
I really like this essay.

Love this sentence. It's powerful. The circular figure's bowed face was shadowed and increasingly drew me in.

Your essay honestly shows your love of art. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Fine Arts for UT/ Personal interaction with objects essay/ A powerful painting