"How did you first learn about Macalester? "

gabrielacb 5 / 17  
I would really love if anyone would comment on my essay. I'm a foreigner and a begginer at writing essays in english.
Be as critical as you want, I'm here to learn :)

"How did you first learn about Macalester?" (250 words maximum)

It was Friday night and once again, there I was, glued to my computer. While all my friends were out partying, I was on the internet searching for good universities in the US. As a Brazilian student, I was quite an ignorant when it came to knowing American colleges. But since I was headstrong that I would transfer to a college in the States, I had to know every good college there was out there and what it could offer me.

So I started looking at rankings, the first thing that I, as an misinformed person, could think of doing. After a short while looking over these rankings, I began to think. What exactly does a college ranking mean and how can that possibly signify that the college has what I needed? I have certain and unique needs and just because some university is considered number one in the country, it doesn't mean is number one for me.

As a result, I started searching different rankings that could show distinct aspects in colleges that normal rankings wouldn't. That's precisely when I discovered Macalester.

Of all its numerous rankings and honors, the one stating that Macalester is one of the most diverse and multiculturalists colleges in the US was what marveled me most. Having one of the highest proportions of foreign students in the US combined with its approach towards internationalism and multiculturalism, Macalester had won my heart.
RyanVi16 12 / 91  
I guess you can say it reasonable. This is just another way of saying "Why do you want to go to that school". Is this an actual essay question or is just a small part of the application where it asked you where did you learn (like from family, friends, or other).

If it's an actual essay, I think you should somehow add more details about you in the essay (like why is it relevant to know about the school? Your goal in the future?)
OP gabrielacb 5 / 17  
Actually, this is only a small part of the application. I guess it literally just wants to know how I found about Macalester, because there's another longer essay that asks what I can offer the college and why did I choose it.

Home / Undergraduate / "How did you first learn about Macalester? "