Ever since I got my first phone, my interest in computer science has increased tenfold. - GMU essay

nmeagent 1 / -  
Prompt: Our experience of the universe, our planet Earth, and the history of humankind continues to present unanswered questions and unresolved problems. If you were to choose one question or problem to investigate during your undergraduate years at Mason, what would it be? Why are you interested in the topic, what research do you wish to conduct during your studies concerning this, and what do you hope to gain from your inquiry?

Ever since I got my first phone, my interest in computer science has increased tenfold. Mobile technology has always interested me because of its unique ways of communication. I have always been asking myself, "What's next?" First was the physical keyboard, then came the touchscreen, followed by hands-free voice recognition but, what's next? We are moving towards a world with touch-less controls, which means after voice control the next logical step forward would seem to be control with thoughts. With computer science this can be achieved in the near future.

Before taking computer science in high school, I wanted to make mobile games. In the class, we made a few games and programs and I realized that computer science is so much more than just making games. I realized that computer science is the future.

In high school, I learned the fundamentals of Java which answered some basic questions. However I want to get past the basics and I want to dive deeper into computer science. At GMU I want to research more about human behavior and how we interact and use this in combination with computer science to develop new ways of interacting with technology. I imagine a world where instead of us staring at small screens on our phone, we are using our thoughts to communicate with technology. To make this a reality, I want to study psychology and computer science and fuse the two together. Psychology will help me gain more knowledge of how the human brain functions and computer science will help me make the software necessary for the user to communicate with his device. I strongly believe that GMU is the right fit to help me fulfill my goal.
jjj90 4 / 14 4  
I answered the same prompt for George Mason Honors! Although you scratch the surface, your essay lacks substance. I think it's very vague. You say, "I want to research," but you never really reveal how you would like to do the research; there are a lot of options such as study abroad opportunities, lab work, clinical studies etc. Plus, I'm left a little confused at what "question" or "unsolved problems" you are addressing. I suggest establishing this in the opening paragraph. I remember the prompt's word limit being 750 words and your essay is less than 300. I think you should move deeper into what you've written above.
Vns9x 102 / 236 16  
You need to dig a little bit deeper. You information require to be supported by some detailed examples.
Tirth, the best way to answer this essay would be to pose your vision of the world in let's say the year 2030. What field of computer science do you hope to have conquered by then? What is the importance of conquering that field in terms of the survival of mankind? It is the information contained in your answer to these two questions that will be the introduction and thesis statement of your essay. Then you can move on to the body of the essay.

Your first paragraph should indicate your background in your chosen field. Let the admissions officer know that you have a basic background, but don't get too technical in the usage of terms in case he is not too familiar with what you are discussing. Use layman's terms only. Then move on to the second paragraph.

In this paragraph, you will discuss what classes you plan to take at GMU leading towards your goal. Mention specific training regimens or programs, even internships that they offer which can help enhance your skills. Most importantly, let them know that there are certain mentors / professors you look forward to exchanging ideas with as an intern or apprentice. This will show your future development and potential as a scientist in your chosen field.

Finally, discuss how you plan to use what you learn from the professors and the school in achieving your end goal. Give them an idea of where you see yourself say, 5 years after graduation. Explain to them what point you will already be in by that time in terms of developing answers to your question or goals. You should at least have laid out a solid foundation for your final objective by that time.

Home / Undergraduate / Ever since I got my first phone, my interest in computer science has increased tenfold. - GMU essay