Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

UC prompt 2, how a friend went missing, changed my life

joycewrice 2 / -  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

In my freshmen I experienced something that I will never forget. This experience changed my life and is an accomplishment that I am very proud of. I was at a friend's house one evening and one of my friends went missing. We searched around the house trying to find her and luckily we spotted her at a neighbor's house. There was a hip-hop dance choreographer at the house and randomly asked us if we were interested in joining a dance group. Everyone was excited but I on the other hand was very skeptical about this. As a child I never had a hobby that I was passionate for. Many children were put into a sport's club or dance studio by their parents, but I was never involved in any of that. I didn't think that I could excel in anything and was afraid of what others would think. But because my friends were up for it, I chose to join. In the beginning, I struggled having no experience. Many times I was discouraged because out of all my friends I was the slowest learner. All of them had some dance training. But I chose not to give up because this might be the hobby that I never had. After practicing three times a week, I started to become good at it, which allowed me to enjoy it. Throughout high school I joined three dance teams, two being a high school team and the other being an outside professional dance company. I soon became to love dancing. Anywhere I would go, I would be doing choreography in my head. My love for dancing has never faded. I've won awards titled, "The Next Big Thing" and "The Best Dance Performer," which is something that I would've never imagined. I have also contributed to dance teams by preparing them for dance shows and choreographing for them. This was a challenge for me to pursue, because thoughts went through my mind on whether or not they would like what I had to offer. Surprisingly they liked my choreography, which was a huge accomplishment for me. If Stephanie didn't end up missing, I would not be the aspiring dancer and performer that I am today. I can proudly say that I gained confidence in myself by joining dance groups, knowing that I CAN excel in something if I put my heart into it.

Home / Undergraduate / UC prompt 2, how a friend went missing, changed my life