"YOU'RE GETTING SMALLER, BUT I CAN STILL SEE YOU!": influencing character

ljfreshy85 3 / 3  
Prompt: Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

"YOU'RE GETTING SMALLER, BUT I CAN STILL SEE YOU!" These were the last words of Owen Meany as he lay dying after sacrificing himself for the sake of the people in the bathroom with him. John Irving's famous character from A Prayer for Owen Meany is an individualistic diminutive male whose story you follow through the eyes of his best friend. He believes himself to be an instrument of God and is a Christ figure himself. Owen is a male who maintains the physical stature and voice of a child, yet is intellectual, alarming, and manipulative to those around him. Unlike other fictional protagonists, I could not forget this character after closing A Prayer for Owen Meany and constantly thought of this peculiar person. Gradually, I imagined about what he would do in difficult situations I faced, not unlike a "What Would Owen Do?" concept. Owen accepted himself as he was and did not care about how others thought of him. He drew people in with his magnetizing aura. He was also a character who lived his life for God.

Owen never grew taller than five feet and had larynx problems; therefore, people were always staring at him. Though many people would have had a hard time dealing with the abnormality, Owen acknowledged how he looked. Many people have a problem with how they look, especially girls. Even though I do not brood over myself constantly, sometimes I will evaluate myself and list imperfections. One time I stood in front of the mirror and listed more than thirty flaws, but after getting to know Owen Meany, I realized that I was being ridiculous, even though he and I are opposite sexes. Owen was obviously worse off than I am, due to his physical deformities. Yet the fact that he accepted himself taught me to appreciate myself more. I was complaining for petty reasons; I should be thankful for not having any defects like Owen. In fact, I should be thankful for being alive. Owen also did not let others' opinions influence his decisions. He refused to let his physical being hinder his acceptance into the army, becoming an army lieutenant during the Vietnam War; and the people really did not have a reason to refuse him. Owen made up for what he lacked; he had the intellect and ability to be in charge. Being apathetic to public opinion is something extremely hard to do. Once, I wanted to take the side of that one person whom no one really liked. Everyone was teasing her, and it was obvious that she was the victim and was being bullied. But whenever I wanted to stand up, I got scared at the possibility of seeing the unbelieving looks on their faces, and sat still and let that person be taunted until the nearby adults stepped in. Now, I have more courage and chide the others for bullying or teasing, ignoring the fact that I could always welcome unwanted enemies. I always have, do, and will be tempted and overcome by impulse to act based on others' views, and to be scared at what others may think. I try to be like Owen and not let others to hinder my future.

If you see a child, but then realize that the child is not a child at all, but is, in fact, an adult, I am pretty sure you would be surprised, even scared. Owen did indeed scare people sometimes. For example, during one of the rehearsals for A Christmas Carol, his acting of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come was so great that he caused people to scream. But in most cases, Owen drew people in more than he scared them away. They were awed by him, both physically and emotionally. This reaction was repeated throughout the novel. ". . . I had never seen my cousins gape at anyone with open mouths. . . ", "All the children watched Owen closely . . . They never took their eyes off of him." He had an unexplainable aura that made people want to know more about him. This emotional aspect of him was another trait by which I was influenced. People's first impression of me is usually a quiet and somewhat withdrawn person, but by following Owen's example, I am slowly becoming a more socially inviting person. People are not so anxious when approaching me anymore. Owen was also very social, almost always unafraid of new people, wanting to get to know them. I used to find it very difficult to approach any new person; I was afraid that they would stare at me in a condescending, "Are you seriously trying to talk to someone like me?" manner. Even now, I find it a little awkward approaching a new person; however, I am striving to become bolder and take the first step in getting to know a new person.

Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

John Irving described Owen as a die-hard Christian. After accidentally killing his best friend's mother, Owen declared, "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument." He believed that everything in life was God's plan and knew that he had to live his life the way God intended it to be. He did not run away from his death even after knowing how he would die. Owen would later give up his life in Vietnam by getting his friend to throw him up to the roof with a grenade in his hands, a basketball dunk move which the two had practiced for years. He knew that the two of them had practiced for that one moment; Owen believed that everything was planned out by God, whether humans knew it or not. He never doubted God, always trusting in Him, and knew the Bible like an educated priest would know it. He was the perfect Christian. And though I know that the perfect Christian does not exist, I find myself trying to follow his steps in faith. During the times when I am confused about God's plans in my life, I think of Owen and become assured that everything happens for a reason; I have no right to question God. I pray more often and focus on being a good Christian, compared to when I would only sit around and mope about problems. Thanks to Owen, I have become closer to God.

Most people read books and watch movies just for enjoyment or study. Once they have finished, they throw them all away, forgetting about the characters. But for me, the one character that I was unable to forget, Owen Meany, has become real and influential to me. I thank John Irving for giving life to this extraordinary character, whose life I was able to follow from youth to death. Even though he is fictional, he encourages me to become comfortable with myself and not care about how others think of me, to be warmer towards people, and to become more intimate with the God I believe in.

What can I do to not make it so much about the character? Tips and ideas, please. Be very critical and harsh.
stood in front of the mirror and listed more than thirty flaws

Wow! This is the best part of the essay. It really shows the reader something. I thought you would be interested in this observation... I wonder if others will agree that the most intense part of the experience is on this line, because it suddenly makes it personal and shows an image.

Hey, I don't think the word "also" belongs in the last sentence of the first paragraph. I don't mean that you should remove that word from the sentence; I mean that the last sentence of the first paragraph should not be an afterthought. Do you know what I mean? You should say something powerfully and clearly at the end of that first para, and let it express the main idea of the essay.

And I see your question... yeah... well, it is at the end of that first paragraph...or maybe, just maybe, as part of paragraph 2, that you should tell the reader your message. You have to have that message. If you can sum up the influence by telling about your goals for the future, that'll be the message to put at the end of the first and last paragraphs of the essay.

:-) Welcome to essayforum! Thanks for helping a lot of people lately...

Home / Undergraduate / "YOU'RE GETTING SMALLER, BUT I CAN STILL SEE YOU!": influencing character