GRE It is more harmful to compromise one's own beliefs than to adhere to them.

TNAM 1 / 2 1  
Hi! I am very new the Forum and would love to hear any suggestion from all of you! Thank you!

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

My response:
Holding a belief in one thing without change is not necessary always good. Changes to better sometimes are needed. The same for ideas or beliefs because when time passes, these beliefs are not well suited to the situation anymore and it would be better to move forward with the thinking and changes the idea to be well-suited for such timing. I do believe that there are no harm in compromising; it will even shape up your belief in a better one at the same time.

Changes are essential for almost everything, even to idea or belief. Most people has their own ideas and opinions about particular issues

[...]
TNAM, one of the best ways to address this kind of essay is to first discussing the side that you do not support. That way you can present all of the possible arguments that you know are available to attack your stance. Make their stance seem as weak as possible so that you can present your supporting paragraphs in the best strength available as well. This means that you will have to write at least 2 non supporting paragraphs prior to your supporting paragraphs. The non supporting paragraphs should contain only one solid idea each and be well developed in a discussion sense. After that, you may then proceed to discuss the supporting stance, covering 2 paragraphs as well, making it sound as strong as possible in order to create a solid foundation for your opinion. Your opinion should come at the end of the paper and be the strongest discussion or reason that you will be presenting to the reader. By weakening the opposing argument, you will be able to discuss from a position of strength. It is best to use your personal experience in support of your statement rather than using other examples that may present other argument avenues for the opposition to use.

Right now your discussions are too short and weak to be able to defend either side. You need to do some research or interview some people in order to get their opinion on the topic so that you can use that as primary source information in your discussion. That will also help you find holes in the opposing discussion that you can use against them in your personal opinion or general opinion discussion of the topic.
OP TNAM 1 / 2 1  
Hi vangiespen! Your suggestion is really a huge feedback to me. I don't have much experience in writing before. I will try my best for the next draft and get back to all of you!

Thank you so much!
OP TNAM 1 / 2 1  
Hi! I am back. Sorry for my slow draft #2 I've been having a lot of works. I have taken your suggestion and write it down. Thank you so much!!!

In the society, people make their own stands by having their own actions and belief. The consequences of such beliefs can sometimes comeback and hurt oneself, or might even change the course of history. However, you can be sure that by sticking to one's beliefs will be more harmful rather than compromising them.

First, Immutable belief might cause troubles. We are now living in vibrant society - a place where every person has his/her own idea or belief. By coming together in one place, adaptation is needed; ideas have to be compromised, and beliefs have to be altered. Not changing your beliefs might suggest that you aren't belong in this society and might be difficult for you to survive in some situation. For instance, in some cultures, people believe that eating beef is a disrespect to their god. So, if you go eat beef product at the place, you could get banned from people or kicked out from that society.

In addition, by adhering to beliefs, you miss the chances to take in new knowledge, tradition and culture because you are not willing to adapt to new society. This can also happen in another situation such as going to new school but not willing to make friend with persons who have different thoughts; or working in a new company but not willing to take any suggestions from senior employee. This type of thought can hurt yourself in the long run because eventually, you will not move forward and stuck with same amount of knowledge that you have.

On the other hand, changes bring opportunities. Compromising your idea or behavior a bit doesn't really hurt. It shows that you are adaptable to the situation and willing to learn new things. People are willing to tell you about their culture and tradition such as why they don't eat beef or what does this mean to them. This leads you to a new place which you have never experienced before because you cross you own line to the new side of the ideas.

Not to mention the fact that changing belief can sometimes bring the change to human lives. Mankind, for instance, once wish that they could fly like a bird; however, they never believe that they could do it. Not until 1900s, when Wright brothers challenge the world's belief and built the first airplane; their action is still now affecting us in a lot of ways like travels, goods transportation or even flying out to space. They changed their belief and made history to the flying industries around the world.

To conclude, believing without changing can turn out to be disadvantageous in many ways. Compromising, however, bring about new chances and new understanding of things. Some can even make historic changes to the world.

Home / Undergraduate / GRE It is more harmful to compromise one's own beliefs than to adhere to them.