Hispanic spirit; Grinnell App; Culture/People I like to get to know about?

ago1209 2 / 4  
Hi guys~~ I am about to submit the supplement essay for Grinnell~~ Can someone help me with this~any comment is welcomed!!! thanks a lot!

One of the fascinating qualities of Grinnell College is the diversity of its student body. Grinnell students come from around the world and from innumerable socioeconomic, religious, and cultural backgrounds. What place, people, or culture would you like to get to know better and why? (approximately 250 words)----

If I could pick my roommates at Grinnell, I hope one of them would be a Spanish speaker. As a result, I have a closer understanding of this culture I am always mesmerized about.

Ever since I started learning Latin dance at six, I was deeply amazed by passion, tension, and confidence in every movement of Latin dance. And this love about dance gradually ignites my curiosity about the Hispanic culture, a culture that uses different forms of arts to express their praise toward life. Three years ago in the study abroad program in University of Oxford, I met my first Spanish friend, Jose, a boy with a typical Mediterranean optimism. He told me: the essence of Hispanic culture lies in the appreciation of life and freedom. "You never know if you will open your eyes and see the world again the next morning or not, so there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your life today as much as you can."

Jose's word greatly touched my heart. Deeply fascinated by the free Hispanic spirit, which is so distinct from the Chinese philosophy, I started to learn Spanish by myself. Gradually, as I became familiar with this culture, I found that this respect to life and freedom is everywhere in Spanish literature and artworks: from the Cervantes' classic-romantic freedom in Don Quijote, to Verasquez's recall of humanistic care in his religious painting, then to Pedro AlmodĂłvar's re-definition of love and life in his movie "Habla Con Ella". I hope one day I could experience more aspects of this beloved culture and people, and the Grinnell's extensive study-abroad resources and the outstanding foreign language programs will give me the best preparation for this big Spanish dream!
OP ago1209 2 / 4  
Thanks Koliva223ïź

any suggestion about the content of the essay? Do you think I have addressed it effectively?
Thanks!!
koliva223 4 / 4 2  
I think that you definitely addressed the question efficiently!
Shoko0229 4 / 14 3  
Hi, I'm also applying to Grinnell! Hope we'll meet there:)
Though your essay has some grammar mistakes (as koliva223 has pointed out), your story is interesting and conveys your passion to Latin culture very well. But one thing I doubt is if you need to conclude your essay in such a way--- I mean, the promt simply asks you "What place, people, or culture would you like to get to know better and why?" So I suggest you rewrite it.

Good luck!
hanksze 3 / 8  
It is wonderful, the story is complete and interesting.

However, I think it will be better if you put more words on your feeling!

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Hispanic spirit; Grinnell App; Culture/People I like to get to know about?