How you first learned about Grinnell College? - Grinnell supplement

haggahagga 1 / 1  
Hi, I would be grateful for any feedback. Neither of the essays should be over 500 characters, so that's why they're so short.

How you first learned about Grinnell College?

Although I had been interested in Grinnell before, it was not until my friend Radka entered the Class of 2013, that I discovered more. Since then, I have had the opportunity to get to know Grinnell better through Radka's firsthand observations. Her writings and pictures corroborated what I had already known about the college, answered all of my inquiries and prompted me to apply.

What new mascot or nickname would you recommend for Grinnell College to reflect its history, current environment, and core principles, as you understand them, and why?

I think the ideal mascot for Grinnell would be a whale. Just as whales freely roam the oceans, Grinnell's students are offered freedom in pursuing higher education, regardless of their nationality or financial need. Adding to this freedom, there is no core curriculum that would force students to take classes they are not interested in. And just like a whale is concealed under the surface of sea, Grinnell hides itself in the middle of corn fields, only to rise above and reveal its grandeur to those who are lucky enough to observe.
SebK 1 / 6  
I personally think you've answered both questions rather well! And I also just realized that it's 500 characters; I applied a few days ago, thought it was 500 words limit... :(
Cermi 4 / 12  
Hi, I think they are OK. btw isnt Radka from Czech rep.?
OP haggahagga 1 / 1  
Thanks! Are there any grammatical mistakes?
Cermi: Yes, she is and so am I :)
One more thing... this part is weak:
it was not until my friend Radka entered the Class of 2013, that I discovered more.---> instead of "more," you should say something specific. Maybe what you mean to say is that it was not until my friend Radka entered the Class of 2013 that I gained real experiences to support my positive ideas about Grinnell.

Home / Undergraduate / How you first learned about Grinnell College? - Grinnell supplement