personal history - FSU to get accepted in college

lecokr 4 / -  
Sorry about the lenght, but i would really appreciatethe help. hammer it if you want, i can take criticism :]
would you accept me into your college after reading this?

Although I live in the United States now, I was born and raised in Brazil. I grew up in the middle of a strong and emotionally connected family. The definition of family, in my opinion, is not only the blood relations, but also friends who care for each other. If anyone had asked me 5 years ago if I think I could survive living outside of my comfort zone, I would have probably said no.

My dad has worked all his life drawing and managing shoe lines. He was always traveling to distant places like Italy, China, and the United States. The businesses in Brazil were prospering, but all of a sudden, our region started to go into a recession. My dad's company was compromised and his bosses offered him the chance of a life time: move to the United States and start life from zero.

My family and I were devastated with the news. After all, my entire family lived in the same city, and leaving would mean missing all the fun. My parents, however, saw this as a great oportunity to give me and my brother an unforgettable experience. At first, I was really upset that we were leaving all our lifes behind to create a new one in a foreign country. The last few months in Brazil flew by, and in the blink of an eye, me, my brother and my parents were boarding to our new adventure, Boston MA.

I had visited the United States before, but knowing we had a one way ticket gave me a bitter feeling. The moment I stepped outside of the airplane I felt really lucky because I realized I had been given a once in a lifetime chance to become a better, more cultured person.

It wasn't long before my parents found a good school distric to move into. Although I had finished seventh grade in Brazil with exellent grades, the principal at my new school chose to hold me back because of the language. At first, I wasn't looking forward to repeating half of something I had already acomplished, soon afterwards, however, I realized the importance of education. It also set the bar really high for my grades since I was getting straight "As". As I got used to English, I also began to value different things like teamwork, creativity and innovation. The way everything was organized and respected amazed me because everyone was always doing something that in some way or another would benefit the school. It didn't take me long to adhere to those activities.

Days turned into years and eigth grade was coming to an end. I thought we had settled in Boston for good since we had purchased a house, but my father had another trick up his sleeve. He told us he had gotten another job in Florida, and in a couple of months we were going to be moving there. I had been preparing myself for high school in Boston, and knowing that everything would change again was making me melancholic. My dad noticed our insecurity and he decided to take us all to Jacksonville, FL for a weekend trip so we could see what our lifes would be like. The moment I saw the breath-taking beaches and noticed how nice people there were I changed my mind.

We moved to Jacksonville in January 2007. Not long after that my parents bought a house and I started to go to Bartram Trail High School. It was very different from my high school in Boston because everything here had a southern aspect that I enjoyed. Although I still talked to my Bostonian friends, It didn't take me too long to make new friends and feel like I was part of something special. They made me feel very welcome and that is why I love Florida so much and plan on staying here for college.

My high school years were sensational. I joined many clubs and I always engaged in school events. Because I have a thorough understanding of math and its principles, I joined the Mu-Alpha-Theta club to share my enjoyment of mathematics with my school. I also joined the Key Club because I never hesitate to help others. I feel acomplished by knowing that I made a difference in someone else's life. Another club I joined was the Photo Club because I like to take pictures, and above all, I love to use photoshop to manipulate images and make them into something out of the ordinary. Similarly, I joined a newly founded club called To Catch a Fire, where we discuss about peace, freedom, and its contributions in today's society. Today, I look back and remember all the good times I had while in those clubs and I always look forwards to our next meetings.

I have also been helping my brother, who has difficulty learning, overcome this problem. Alomost everyday we sit together at the dinner table and I help and assist him with his homework. Eversince I started tutoring him he has been getting better grades and more friends at school. I am very proud of being able to help my brother, and although he takes it for granted sometimes, I know he will appreciate me help in the future. Although it is only twice a year, every time I go back to Brazil I take a day off and help out the community. Last time I went me and my family help restore a house that is now occupied by a blessed family.

I have always been an intelligent person, especially when it comes to school. Because English was still a bit challenging to me, during my Freshman and Sophmore years I took regular classes. I studied very hard and managed to overcome the language barrier and got exellent grades. During my Junior year I began to take honors and AP classes that challenged me to keep raising the bar. With effort and dedication I maintained my 4.16 GPA. Now during my Senior year, I am still taking classes that challenge me, and since seventh grade, I have been getting straight "As".

With all those club memberships and school work I thought it would be hard to balance a job in the equation, but I was willing to give it a try. I was hired on March 2007 to work as a cashier for Winn Dixie. Since then I have been getting raises and bonuses for the great job. I still work there today, and I balance a 20 hour/week job with school and clubs to get exellent grades. This job has taught me how to handle money, deal with costumers, and help maintain a clean and organized work space.

I have broken many cultural barriers, and I would be a great addition to the FSU family. I am a friendly, loyal and clearly dedicated individual who has an ambition to succeed in any given environment. I have an extensive experience as a devoted student and I love to learn. I am always up to a challenge whatever the situation. I get along well with others, but I also work efficiently on my own.

THANK YOU SO MUCH,
leo
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I'm not sure what the prompt is, so I am not sure how you would like me to proceed. This is indeed a personal history; are you to expand upon a certain aspect of it? Why are these incidences so important?

If it is to be just a general background for you as an individual, it is a very detailed response to the prompt. I wonder if your conclusion could use a little revision though; is there a way that you can tie this up by including a bit more of the historical information in it as refreshers?

Just a thought.

Home / Undergraduate / personal history - FSU to get accepted in college