Since I could hold a pencil, I have belong to the artist's community. Brown Short Essay Supplement

cwashu 2 / 3  
Please be as critical as you can, I want to make them better! Also, please keep in mind that I am applying to the Rhode Island School of Design-Brown program, so I am trying to keep my essays balanced between arts and computer science. Thanks

Why are you drawn to the area(s) of study you indicated in our Member Section, earlier in this application? If you are "undecided" or not sure which Brown concentrations match your interests, consider describing more generally the academic topics or modes of thought that engage you currently. (150 word limit)

I was first introduced to the field of computer science last year while taking an online robotics course. Although handling the syntax was tricky, I was soon drawn to the logic required to code. At first, programming became a hobby; I taught myself how to create websites and simple games, but this love soon turned into a passion I wanted to pursue in college. I am amazed by the versatility of computer science in the future of technological development as the world fully enters the digital age. Computer science can be used in conjunction with other fields I am interested in such as economics, biology, and the visual arts.

Tell us where you have lived - and for how long - since you were born; whether you've always lived in the same place, or perhaps in a variety of places (100 word limit)

I live in downtown Chicago. It is a unique neighborhood where people from all reaches of life are present the same block: artists, teachers and politicians come together to create a diverse community. The area around my neighborhood is equally remarkable, as disparate trades are present in the mile radius around my home. This community is home to the Art Institute, the magnificent mile and the newest startups. In my community, I learned about different aspects of culture and industry, and these experiences ultimately influenced my eclectic set of interests.

We all exist within communities or groups of various sizes, origins, and purposes; pick one and tell us why it is important to you, and how it has shaped you. (150 word limit)

Since I could hold a pencil, I have belong to the artist's community. There was something about being an artist that would set me apart from the other students in school; I was the person who was called upon to design the yearbook cover, or to help those who were dexterously less fortunate. The fine arts have shaped me to be a more intellectually curious individual; Drawing has made me more inquisitive, thoughtful and analytical of my surroundings. I find joy in painting and drawing, not only as an outlet of creation but also a way for me to help the people around me. I began to use my skills to help my local community, from painting murals to facilitating communal art classes. As I grew older, I truly felt belong in this community as I found family in other artists, people who have supported and encouraged me.
krcheng 5 / 9 2  
i think your answers are very straight forward and to the point. For the second questions, you need to answer whether you lived in chicago your whole life or not. for your 3rd question, you need to elaborate on how art made you a more intellectually curious person. great job in general

some minor edits;
There was is something about being an artist that would sets me apart from the other students in school.
As I grew older, I truly felt belong in this community as I found family in other artists, people who have supported and encouraged me.
DinoRules 5 / 14 3  
For the "where have you lived" part, my personal suggestion is that you can try to relate the physical community to yourself.

Home / Undergraduate / Since I could hold a pencil, I have belong to the artist's community. Brown Short Essay Supplement