I Hope You're Tall - Stanford - Letter to Roommate

ailibai 8 / 21  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Dear Future Roommate,
I can't wait to meet you! I'm glad I'll have someone to share the "college experience" with. There are a few things you should probably know about me, like that I am a very deep sleeper. On the plus side, this means you can stay up late talking on the phone if you want! This also means that I'll be bringing my "serious business" alarm clock, complete with bed-shaker. Don't worry; I don't have to turn it up all the way!

I'm very close with my sister, and there will be times when I'm up late Skyping with her. You should be glad to know that I am a fairly neat person. I'm good at organizing things, and I really don't mind cleaning.

If you can speak French or Chinese, that will be fantastic! I like to practice my foreign languages, but the extent of my family's French is my dad saying, "Elle est tombée sur la tęte" in response to everything. I guarantee there will be times when you have to help me reach things on high shelves--I'm only 4'11". I'm usually a happy person, but I do get down sometimes. A little de--stressing time with friends will help!

I'm a complete sci-fi geek. Doctor Who is my favorite show, and SyFy channel original movies (even though I know they're terrible) make my weekends.

I look forward to hanging out with you! I'm open when it comes to activities. I love shopping, movies, and even spontaneous road trips. I'm willing to try new things, too! If you're into crazy-fast, upside-down rollercoasters, I'll give it a go!

I'll have just as much fun whether we're debating climate change (though I do hope you recognize its validity), discussing conspiracy theories, or watching YouTube videos of kittens.

Until September,
Becca

Does my personality come through in this? I don't think it's too informal. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thank you :)
kevjunba 2 / 10  
I really liked your essay. I feel that it'll make the reader smile as he's reading it. The only thing that I'm not quite sure about is what Elle est tombée sur la tęte means. Your personality really does come through in your essay. It's very quirky but playful.
OP ailibai 8 / 21  
It means "She fell on her head." I'll add the translation!
Thank you so much for your feedback!
psh1107 3 / 6  
I like the essay. I like the introduction and I feel like I've known you for a long time. It's a little odd but very cheerful. Nice job!!
AngelofLogic 5 / 9  
" "serious business" alarm clock, complete with bed-shake" hillarious!

, that would be fantastic

overall, your content is a little scattered, but still good overall.
annidee 1 / 4  
It seems as though you started all your sentences with "I" , but maybe you intended it to be that way? It's pretty good other than that. I definitely got a really clear picture of who you are.

Good luck with Stanford!
sfw 4 / 9  
Great, just maybe too many exclamations? They are more effective when used sparingly in the right places.

Home / Undergraduate / I Hope You're Tall - Stanford - Letter to Roommate