"the idea that students explore" - Why Columbia? supplement

rebrose 8 / 20  
This is a rough draft of my why columbia supplement. When trying to think of what to write I couldn't get a clear focus so i just started to write and this is what came out. I would greatly appreciate feedback on grammar or content. Don't be afraid to be harsh!

I feel as if my whole high school education was a perpetual preparation for standardized tests filled with prep questions, example essays, and practice tests whose sole goal was to make sure I did well on tests. All this preparation stifled my curiosity and now I am sick of preparing for tests. I would like my education to give me the freedom to explore myself and the world. Fortunately at Columbia, the whole curriculum is built upon the idea that students explore, and interpret, art, music, and literature for themselves. The emphasis is not on memorizing facts or formulas; rather learning to think independently, creatively, and critically.

I want to experience the world, and while researching Columbia I got a sense that the opportunities to do this are limitless. I could study Portuguese in Rio de Janeiro, help organize a campus wide spelling bee with the Blue Key Society, or take a course on Latin American politics. I could explore my passion for Latin American culture and politics with a major in Latin American and Caribbean Studies. But maybe, after I finish the Core, I decide on another course of study I know that a plethora of opportunities will await me.

Columbia has the resources to help me immerse myself in any interest I have or will have. Classes at Columbia are environments in which learning and discussion take place, and students do not simply prepare for a test, and this is why I choose Columbia.
jstorm 4 / 8  
I feel as if my whole high school education was a perpetual preparation for standardized tests filled with prep questions, example essays, and practice tests whose sole goal was to make sure I did well on tests.

hmmm this is a little harsh, seems like you're shooting down the quality of your education. I certainly understand what you mean, but maybe state it in a way that respects the support your school gave you but made you want more

I want to experience the world; While researching Columbia, I got the sense that opportunities to do this are limitless.

awkward structure: But maybe, after I finish the Core, I decide on another course of study I know that a plethora of opportunities will await me.

Classes at Columbia are environments in which learning and discussion take place, and students do not simply prepare for a test: this is why I choose Columbia.

Good work! and best of luck! Good ideas and overall good feel

mind checking out mine? its for stanford but same essay prompt
Lightning55 3 / 11  

This is a bit redundant. Perpetual preparation for standardized tests...to make sure I did well on tests.

I want to experience the world, and while researching Columbia, I got a sense that the opportunities to do this are limitless.

That's about all I can say that jstorm didn't catch.

Could you please check mine out? Mine's for Yale and it's very different :)

Home / Undergraduate / "the idea that students explore" - Why Columbia? supplement