The influence of my second grade teacher (essay)

midnightroses 1 / -  
Thank you for helping!

Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence. (250-500 words)

No matter how many years pass by, or how many miles separate us, my second grade teacher, Ms. Mount, will forever influence me. Our relationship goes beyond that of a teacher and pupil; it is a story of familial love because she is like a mother to me. She helped me bypass so many obstacles and taught me how to live and love life.

As a child, I had always struggled with school. Kindergarten and first grade were just horrible ordeals for me because I could not understand English. I had trouble communicating in English so I had no friends, and I failed my schoolwork due to comprehension issues. By the time second grade started, I was a spiritually broken child. Years of loneliness and fruitless efforts finally started to make me think that education was not meant for me. Luckily, I was blessed to be placed in Ms. Mount's class. She saw hope and intelligence in me when no one else did, and devoted her time into helping me learn. Ms. Mount firmly believed that the key to a happy and successful life was a good education and that anyone, including me, could succeed. She tried to help with me succeed in school by making sure to ask if I needed her to re-explain assignments in class, or explain test problems. Ms. Mount went the extra mile and volunteered to tutor me after school every day, rain or shine. She helped me overcome my hatred for words by having me read to her out loud. In doing so, I was able to practice my English. Her confidence in me inspired me to try my best. Over time my English significantly improved, and I developed a passion for reading. Nowadays, I spend the majority of my time reading. Ms. Mount gave me the foundation and love I needed to succeed, but that is only the beginning of what she had done for me.

Ms. Mount did more than teach me academics; she taught me everything a mother should have. She emphasized the importance of honesty and integrity, and the cruciality of good moral standards. She made me believe that, contrary to what my parents say, failing at a task does not make me useless so long as I try my best. She also advocated the fact that life is supposed to be fun, so I should live how I want to live. She was the first person who told me that all the money in the world could not buy me happiness and I should pick a career that would bring me joy, regardless of the income.

Throughout the years, I have made my decisions based on what she has taught me, and it has brought me closer to, what I believe to be, a successful and morally good life. I owe everything to her. I do not want to even begin to imagine what my life would be like without the influence of Ms. Mount.
I had trouble communicating in English so I had no friends, and I failed my schoolwork due to comprehension issues. ---Apparently, you have no trouble with it now!

She tried to help with me succeed in school by making sure to ask if I needed her to re-explain assignments in class, or to explain test problems.

She helped me to overcome my hatred of words by having me read to her out loud.

By doing so, I was able to practice my English.

She made me believe that, contrary to what my parents say, failing at a task does not make me useless, as long as I try my best.

She was the first person who told me that all the money in the world could not buy me happiness and I should pick a career that would bring me joy, regardless of the income.---Oh, if only there were more teachers like her!!

What a nice tribute to that teacher! Maybe you could send her a copy of this, to show what she has done for you. Good luck with school and have fun!!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / The influence of my second grade teacher (essay)