"Your intended major" - UC Admissions Essay Prompt #1

misz_kellie 1 / -  
Prompt #1
What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

"Business has always been my niche; something that has always been apart of me ever since I was a child. I remember back in 3rd grade, I used to draw pictures of cartoon characters and sell for them a quarter. Twelve years have passed and my thirst for business is still very prevalent.

In November 2007, six months after I moved from Washington to California, I began my new position at Bank of America. With the recession, it seems that jobs are hard to come by and businesses are all going downhill because no one has the funds to keep out of debt anymore. I have noticed that the bank has also been having a very difficult year in meeting its goals. Amy Woods Brinkley an Executive at the bank stated that "as a company - and as individuals - we are learning, making changes, leveraging our strengths and we will get better and stronger." This quote is very important because it shows that even during tough times; a company or an individual can weather the storm.

For the past eight months at this position, I have seen the ups and the downs which have been affected by the downfall of the US economy. This is where my interest in business economics began. I believe that economics is very important in the business setting because it aids in the decisions that a company must make to endure tough times. It also allows businesses to satisfy their goals even though resources are scarce.

Through these harsh times, I have come to realize that the economy is a very important aspect of how a business is run. Especially with my involvement at the bank, the failing economy has not aided in much profit. However, even during these times, it is important that we still are optimistic about the outcomes of the future base on economist's beliefs because if not then we as individuals and as the bank are doomed to fail. I have also learned that you cannot let hardships cloud your goals because if you are able to endure the storm then you are just that much stronger.

Working at Bank of America, I have come to realize the affect of the economy on a corporation which has given me more inside about the current economic status of our country. The knowledge that I am gaining from working with the bank has been both about business and how a corporation is ran and about the effects of the economy on the business."

I'm not really sure if i am following the prompt. The difficult thing about writing this essay is figuring out how to tie in my job with my intended major. HELP PLEASE :(
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
You have not answered their first question: what is your intended major? Once you state what major you are interested in, draw parallels between your work experiences and the aspects of that major that are attractive to you. For instance, if your intended major is international business, and you handle international accounts at the bank, what real life scenarios have you encountered at work that can benefit you at school?

Home / Undergraduate / "Your intended major" - UC Admissions Essay Prompt #1